Self heating blankets and heated one.

minding my toes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two community cats love this one self heating pad. I put a heated one underneath. But it is not supposed to let the heat through.. they refuse to sleep on heated one. K H told me I'm wasting the heat.??
I can not get them on it.. they love the self heating one. Will the heat go through?? Or are they right it does no good. It is the beginning of winter. They will not sleep in anything. They have to be in the open.
Just trying to get them warmer. They have been out there for 4 yrs. But they love my old big folded rug. But what can I do to heat this self heatung pad? I'm trying different materials. On the heated one. One long hair cat it is the short hair cat I worry about
I don't know where they used to sleep the other years.

Should I just take it up let them go where they used to go?

Screenshot_20231201-033904.png

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've not used them with ferals, but my two have heating mats that heat up as they lay on them... the weight of their body activates the power and they become really warm. Is that worth a try? The self-heating ones are great but really don't cut it in mid Winter.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've found the K&H Extreme Weather Heated (electric) Kitty Pad only works well with the included thin fleece pad. I tried a thicker fleece pad and it didn't provide good heat for my outdoor cat. I'm using it in a DIY cat house we built for a stray cat that just loves it.

K&H's comment that it's just wasting heat is probably correct especially if it's in a windy area or your cats just won't use it. It may take them awhile to decide if they want to just sleep on heated (electric) one when the weather gets really cold.

minding my toes minding my toes , do your outdoor cats sleep near where you have the heated pad placed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minding my toes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've found the K&H Extreme Weather Heated (electric) Kitty Pad only works well with the included thin fleece pad. I tried a thicker fleece pad and it didn't provide good heat for my outdoor cat. I'm using it in a DIY cat house we built for a stray cat that just loves it.

K&H's comment that it's just wasting heat is probably correct especially if it's in a windy area or your cats just won't use it. It may take them awhile to decide if they want to just sleep on heated (electric) one when the weather gets really cold.

minding my toes minding my toes , do your outdoor cats sleep near where you have the heated pad placed?

minding my toes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No it was right next to them.. . Covered in catnip. But kh said it will malfunction if the thicker pad is on top. Foil reflects the heat back onto its self won't go through foil

minding my toes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am trying to get used thick dog beds to put at least their self heating mat in one .

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
But kh said it will malfunction if the thicker pad is on top. Foil reflects the heat back onto its self won't go through foil
Interesting. I like K&H heating products and have found them to be very reliable. My outdoor ferals used them, both electric and self warming. However, just this week I placed an electric pad under a self warming one and it got very hot. The cat in question moved off of it and was sitting next to it when I looked. There was also a little bit of a smell and the cat refused to go back onto the bed until I had changed the bedding, removed the electric pad, and put a new self heating one. The electric pad has no damage anyplace, and no short.

minding my toes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting. I like K&H heating products and have found them to be very reliable. My outdoor ferals used them, both electric and self warming. However, just this week I placed an electric pad under a self warming one and it got very hot. The cat in question moved off of it and was sitting next to it when I looked. There was also a little bit of a smell and the cat refused to go back onto the bed until I had changed the bedding, removed the electric pad, and put a new self heating one. The electric pad has no damage anyplace, and no short.
So I you think it's okay to do that? They slept on it set up like that. I am using the KH electric outdoor soft heating turns on when they lay on it or something is ok on top..

Attachments

minding my toes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help. I don't want it shorting out it sits on a very thick folded up rug.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My outdoor ferals use electric K&H pads, but I don't put any self heating pads over them. I usually place those separately in a more sheltered location if it were to rain. Instead, I use fleece blankets, the inexpensive kind that they sell all over the place at this time of year for the ferals and I have never had a problem doing that along with a heated pad. The problem happened when I put the self heating pad over the electric one. The situation I mentioned actually happened to my indoor only Graycie, who is a rescue who isolates herself sometimes in a colder part of the house and I was trying to warm up her bed. That is probably how I caught the fact that she was disturbed, the pad was too hot, and there was a plastic smell in the room.

minding my toes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My outdoor ferals use electric K&H pads, but I don't put any self heating pads over them. I usually place those separately in a more sheltered location if it were to rain. Instead, I use fleece blankets, the inexpensive kind that they sell all over the place at this time of year for the ferals and I have never had a problem doing that along with a heated pad. The problem happened when I put the self heating pad over the electric one. The situation I mentioned actually happened to my indoor only Graycie, who is a rescue who isolates herself sometimes in a colder part of the house and I was trying to warm up her bed. That is probably how I caught the fact that she was disturbed, the pad was too hot, and there was a plastic smell in the room.
I am trying a fleece cloth. Light weight.. we don't know if it's the mat fabric texture he likes. Or just bring new. Tons of treats and catnip on new pad. The short hair insists his brother join him. Long haired one. So one gets warmer than the other . So it takes the long haired one to cuddle up.

CATS. They own us. You know that... My two in the house time me even more. Jealous of the others. Lol

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Good luck! Who knows what your cats are waiting for you to figure out what to do for them.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes the K&H heated pads specifically state not to use any other beds, blankets, etc on top of them and they are meant to be used on a hard flat surface though I thought K&H also said it was OK to use on a carpeted surface. I don't know if I would put it on a folded up rug unless you can be sure that it won't get accidentally covered by any portion of the rug from the cats moving it around.

I'm guessing that's what fionasmom fionasmom experienced is that the electric pad gets overheated, starts to get that plastic smell and it actually could cause a fire eventually.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When you receive one of their outdoor heated cat beds, they tell you to test it by plugging it in and putting a pillow on top of it for 20 minutes. Even though it is electric, it heats up with some weight or covering on top of it. They do warn you to use it only with their fleece covering which is where I probably took advantage of their instructions. It is probably why it is okay with a light fleece on top. When we had the "incident" I definitely had too much on top of it. I have put them on carpeted surfaces with only their own covering and they have been okay.