Self-cleaning litterbox?

christinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new cat came with his own 'self-cleaning' litterbox. This is a nightmare. First, I'm told you have to use the special 'white' litter designed for the box. I hate it. It turns yellow with use - how ugly!

Could I fill that thing with just normal clumping cat litter?

The most interesting thing about it is the way the cats react to it. My original cat just finds it interesting when it starts to clean. However, the cat who's box it is has a fit every time it goes off. He bats at it furiously and jumps back from it, only to go and bat at it again!

A friend of mine said that I should get rid of the box before both of my cats become neurotic. Has anyone had one of these things for an extended period of time and how DOES it effect the cats over time?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what kind is it ? Only one type that I know of you Have to use their litter tray

I have no personal experience but most of the folks I know who have had them evetually use it as a regular box

luci_sushi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sound like crystal cat litter and maybe the Scoopfree litter box

I doubt you can put clumping cat litter in it, it will make a mess.

I bought a scoopfree litter box before. Luci used it once.After he saw it move he never used it again, so I returned it.

Try selling it on craigslist or on ebay.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I would ever get one. It sounds like a pain~~and I don't think Bella would use it. Bella has a wonderful big litterbox that fits in a corner. It's big so she can squat with all four paws on the edge and she won't tip it over. You know she has a bit of a weight issue.

luvmy10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a littermaid elite ultra. Not sure what kind you use, but I use regular Tidy Cats for multiple cats. It works fine and with 10 cats, I change it everyday, but with one, or two I am sure there won't be much changing and it's alot easier.

My cats play with ours when its on ::rolls eyes:: All cats are different. =)