Self checkouts, Yay or Nay?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Here’s a controversial one. Let’s keep try to stay out of IMO territory. :wink:

I’m a fan of self-checkouts. I love not having to wait in long lines or deal with a slow, chatty cashier or bagger. I really started using them during Covid and learned bagging my own order made it a lot easier to put things away when I got home.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately the grocery store we go to always has a problem when we do self-checkout and we end up needing an employee to help. It's so frustrating. :hmmm: I liked when stores had an express lane for 10 items or less but most of the stores we shop at have done away with that probably due to self-checkout.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nay! I tend to avoid self checkout lanes for the same reasons neely neely listed plus I bring my own bags and it always caused issues with the scale. I also usually can bag my own groceries through the regular lane as the cashier is scanning the items and they are usually short of baggers.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have done both. If the regular cashier's line is long, and self service is short; I will use it. At one grocery store, there is always an issue with self service--- every single customer at every check out. It is kind of worthless.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a 100% fan of self checkout and use it whenever it is available. It is usually faster, no one else is touching my stuff and the biggest reason is that I have found SO many items that don’t ring up correctly. Example.
Butter was on sale if you use the coupon. But when the coupon was scanned it ADDED $7 to my total instead of taking anything off. This was at a Hyvee grocer if you are wondering. Usually the differences aren’t this startling but when you are ringing yourself you pay more attention and catch more errors.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the self-checkout. I always go very early on Saturday morning and self-checkout is the only thing open but that is fine with me. One thing I have noticed recently is that they seem to be more sensitive in an effort to catch people not paying for everything. I didn't used to have any issues but lately it seems like I do. I have been going to the same supermarket for years and the people that are there early on Saturday morning know me so they just come in and punch in the code so it will go ahead and let me pay. They have also put in gates so people have to go by cashiers to leave which since they have a pharmacy and a Little Clinic people do leave without buying groceries so they must be having more issues with shoplifting.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m a big fan of self-checkout. I use it both at my local grocery store and at Costco. I have the grocery store app so all I do is scan the code in the app and it gives me all of the discounts and automatically pays. Very slick. And Costco card readers now scan your card so it’s extremely easy and the lines are shorter.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. I'll only use self checkout if I have no other option. Stores are having us do more and more of their work and not reducing prices for us to do it. Also, I can't see putting the cashiers and baggers out of work. I am almost never in a hurry. The grocery store I go to, you just push your cart to the checkout and the checker takes it out of the cart, scans it, and bags it. If there's a bagger around, they'll help (or I can help bag is I choose to). I have no problem wating a while for this service. I've never known the cashiers to be overly chatty, especially if they're busy. A couple weeks ago there was one cashier chatting with a customer and another cashier came and got me. She said the woman is 93 years old and still does her own shopping, so they cater to her. I was perfectly fine with that, and would actually have not minded waiting.
Now, if I have 2 items and the lines are long, I will use the self check out.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
More often than not I find myself cursing the bloody machiene for nagging "place item in the bag" 50 times even though i just placed it in the bloody bag. I hate these machienes they are buggy and just awful to use.

Then there's the screens.... ewww eww ewww filthy dirty germs. They need to make ones that don't need to be touched.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use self if it's only a few things. Sadly, I have to go to a human for a full order now. They changed the self check out and there's no room for all my groceries so I need a person to put in a code every time I put a bag in my cart.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nay! I always have to ask for help anyway. When I worked in a drugstore, I wasn't allowed. (Though one lazy assistant manager fussed at me for not.) They were always amazed at the amount of money people left behind on the self checkout registers.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree for all of the above reasons. I always had problems using them and I always had to get someone to help me. One time I was really having a difficult time and when I was done a cashier asked to see my receipt. She was checking to see if I paid for everything. I have been going to that store for 20 years and the chashier knew me. I was not amused. I don't use the self check out anymore because I'm in a wheel chair.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do use them and have no problem with doing so on a smaller order. When I have a huge order, I don’t use them because I think it delays everyone else who is trying to use them for just a couple of items.

I have been in line with people who have told me that they refuse to use them because they are taking away jobs. Another angle is an article which was run by the Los Angeles Times just recently which stated that a lot of elderly people who are lonely will not use them because they have developed a habit of having some kind of social contact with the checker and do not want to give that up.

depending upon the store in question, they can be glitchy, and some appear to be less than clean. I have seen people get out sanitizing wipes and clean the entire apparatus before they will use it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am all for them. We only have two stores in my town. One is outrageously expensive, the other is Walmart.
If I pick up something at the other store, then I use a cashier because they are great there. I use that store for produce and meat as their product is far superior on those. Walmart on the other hand wouldn't know how to bag groceries if you only had two items, and the cashiers are as personable as a doorknob. Plus, they come into work sick and handle your groceries? Don't think so.
I am heading to the store in about an hour, and, as always, will use the self checkout. I prefer it that way.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="kashmir64, post: 5710866, member: 120383'. Plus, they come into work sick and handle your groceries? Don't think so.

[/QUOTE]
Plus they lick their fingers to open the plastic bags and handle my groceries. That drives me crazy. When I get home I have to wash everything. As you can see, I'm germaphobic. People are just plain dirty. They put some nasty things in their mouth.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise