Selective Declaw on Polydactyl Cat

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just remove only the claw next to the extra thumb that's hard to get to. Declawing competely is a bad idea. Many members here can tell you the horror stories of removing all of them and how very traumatic it is to your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just remove only the claw next to the extra thumb that's hard to get to. Declawing competely is a bad idea. Many members here can tell you the horror stories of removing all of them and how very traumatic it is to your kitty.
Definitely! I am 100% against declawing. They quoted me for a full front declaw, so I am going to have to make sure they don't do more than just the one. I don't care if they want me to pay the same price. I don't want her to loose all of her claws! They're very important to her. 

I don't think the vet will take more than the one though since she personally seemed to be against declawing. Didn't even want to use the word declaw in front of me.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never agree to removing any but toes that show abnormalities. Robin is declawed in the front. It was not medically necessary but more involved than that implies (did not include worries about furniture trust me.). It wasn't the right decision, though.

Please do not remove any claws that are not abnormal. Please. I beg you listen to my experience.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will definitely only have them remove the ones in the middle between the extra toe and the normal toes. If they have to remove these toes (due to the muscles or bones or something like that to reduce complications) I can understand. But I absolutely want her to keep all of her toes. If they bother her later, I am willing to shell out the money to get them taken off, but I don't see this necessary until then. She definitely won't have any claws removed but the two problem ones.

I'm going to tell them this. I sent an email. Hopefully, they'll get back to me tomorrow about it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that sounds about right. I wouldn't want any extra toes removed if they weren't causing trouble---I love polydactyls! Make sure you're very clear with them, on the day of the surgery make them tell you what they're going to do to make sure everyone is on the same page. I've heard of surgery mix-ups/miscommunications happening with humans, I'm sure it happens with pets too!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that sounds about right. I wouldn't want any extra toes removed if they weren't causing trouble---I love polydactyls! Make sure you're very clear with them, on the day of the surgery make them tell you what they're going to do to make sure everyone is on the same page. I've heard of surgery mix-ups/miscommunications happening with humans, I'm sure it happens with pets too!
I am really worried about something like that happening! I will make sure that I communicate directly with them on the day of surgery and when I talk to them before that to double and triple check to make sure that they know what they are supposed to be removing. I even was thinking of painting those two nails as an extra reminder, like how people write on parts of their body if they're having something removed.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I scheduled an appointment for March 22nd. I'm really hoping it goes well. I am really worried!

nocaltam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two polydactyl cats, and both have their front paws declawed. They were done over 10 years ago as kittens (my view on declawing has changed since then), and neither cat has any problems.
In regard to the contract you signed, there is a big difference between a medically unnecessary procedure like declawing, and having two claws removed due to ongoing medical issues. MOO, but you would not be breaking the contract, in fact, you would be proactively protecting your cat from further suffering.
Be sure to check your polydactyl cat's back feet, as well. One of mine has dewclaws on his back feet, which 'normal' cats do not. On one back foot, his dewclaw is very large and thick, and it grows directly into the pad of his foot. We clip it every month or two, and each time it is very painful for him. I hope you get both odd claws removed- it will prevent any further suffering for your cat. [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127996[/emoji]

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two polydactyl cats, and both have their front paws declawed. They were done over 10 years ago as kittens (my view on declawing has changed since then), and neither cat has any problems.
In regard to the contract you signed, there is a big difference between a medically unnecessary procedure like declawing, and having two claws removed due to ongoing medical issues. MOO, but you would not be breaking the contract, in fact, you would be proactively protecting your cat from further suffering.
Be sure to check your polydactyl cat's back feet, as well. One of mine has dewclaws on his back feet, which 'normal' cats do not. On one back foot, his dewclaw is very large and thick, and it grows directly into the pad of his foot. We clip it every month or two, and each time it is very painful for him. I hope you get both odd claws removed- it will prevent any further suffering for your cat. [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127996[/emoji]
We did. :) this is an older thread (but not too old). She is doing so much better and has no problems with her nails getting clipped. She has some odd extras on her back feet, but they aren't dewclaws. The vet asked, but we opted not to have them removed. They look and seem to be fine for her for now.