Seizure! Help!

chrikc1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats just had a seizure. He is a little over a year old and has never had one before. I am positive as I have had him since birth. I was just playing with him and his favorite stick toy. We were playing for around 3 minutes when he collapsed and had a very violent seizure. The convulsing lasted about 15 or 20 seconds (possibly the longest of my life). We tried to just let it run its course while making sure he didn't hurt himself but he was thrashing so violently we moved him to the bed. As soon as he stopped thrashing, he peed and then started hissing and spitting at us. I laid with him while he calmed down. When he eventually started purring and moving around a little bit we gave him some water and canned cat food. He is eating right now. I'm still shaking and i'm so scared to take my eyes off of him. Its 3:30 am here right now. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? My boyfriend and I are so worried and would really appreciate any help, experience, or reassurance.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I had experience with this. My cat never had a seizuere in her life, then she had 3 in 5 months. Out of the blue. We really don't know what happened, she was suffering from a serious disease at that time, the vets thought that an electrolyte unbalance could have triggered it.
As long as the seizure lasts less than 60 seconds it's not bad, past that time it can be a serious problem of survival.
Take your kitty to your vet as soon as you can, they will run a blood test and they will probably schedule a neurological visit.
All the best!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't have specific experience like Antionio65, but I do know that you definitely need to take him in to be checked out, as Antonio suggested. Your little furry friend may continue to experience these episodes and may need medication to try to help with this.