Seeking wisdom!

Charlie101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat livers,
On Dec 26th, we uprooted a fairly feral kitten of about 4-5 months from a friend’s backyard. Friend in question a cat lover who has 4 indoor cats and about 9 who live outdoors. She feeds them all and they all live happily close to her back door. Kitten in question (Charlie) is therefore used to human proximity but had never been stroked. Forward to today, we’ve managed to create a safe space for her and she’s now living on top of a wardrobe in our office. She’s feeding well, uses litter box BUT is frightened of everything. We can’t stroke her, she doesn’t play (even a feather type toy is scary). The only new thing is she’ll accept a treat from my fingers (whilst still on top of wardrobe and she has let me in room albeit skittishly while she was eating.
Questions: Will she ever come around?? Did we simply take her too old, too feral? Now feeling cruel for having taken her, she seemed happy where she was but I made eye contact with her that day and that was it!
sorry so long, hope someone has insight

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You've only had her for less than 3 weeks, so I think things sound like they are progressing a bit already, even if not as fast as you would like. There are some cats who can take months and months to acclimate. Her age suggests she should come around quicker than an adult cat in the same position might. I'd say she will turn around when she is ready and all you can do is be patient.
Maybe there are some tips in this TCS article that you can try - if at first she doesn't respond, try again later. No rush.
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite

Set up a 'hiding' box or two on the floor to see if she might show some interest in using one of them instead of on top of the wardrobe. It isn't a big deal if she doesn't, but if she were to do so, sitting on the floor near the box and softly reading a book out loud would help get used to your presence and voice. You can always have some treats with you to place in between her box and you, if she comes out to take them, that will help her realize you are not a threat to her. You can do something similar while she is still on top of the wardrobe too.

I am sure others will come along soon with some more ideas for you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello cat livers,
On Dec 26th, we uprooted a fairly feral kitten of about 4-5 months from a friend’s backyard. Friend in question a cat lover who has 4 indoor cats and about 9 who live outdoors. She feeds them all and they all live happily close to her back door. Kitten in question (Charlie) is therefore used to human proximity but had never been stroked. Forward to today, we’ve managed to create a safe space for her and she’s now living on top of a wardrobe in our office. She’s feeding well, uses litter box BUT is frightened of everything. We can’t stroke her, she doesn’t play (even a feather type toy is scary). The only new thing is she’ll accept a treat from my fingers (whilst still on top of wardrobe and she has let me in room albeit skittishly while she was eating.
Questions: Will she ever come around?? Did we simply take her too old, too feral? Now feeling cruel for having taken her, she seemed happy where she was but I made eye contact with her that day and that was it!

:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for taking this kitten in and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life! :clapcat:

It is normal for her to feel frighten as the environment is very new to her but at least she is using the litterbox and taking treats off your hand.

I would suggest that at this moment, you do not play with her or use any toy to play with her as her confidence level is pretty low now and many things like a feather toy may spook her.

Most important thing now is to let her get used to your and also your voice. Speak to her in a soft loving tone and keep assuring her that everything‘s gonna be alright.Spend more time with her so that she don’t feel threatened and help boost her confidence. Keep making slow eye blinks with her but don’t stare directly into her eyes. Blink and slowly look away. Once you look away, it gives shows that she is in charge and that will help build her confidence.

Go slow with things and do not rush her. Take it step by step. I don’t think that she is really that feral as she has contact with your friend. It’s just the new environment that’s setting her back at this moment.

It’ll take awhile for her to settle in but at this moment, love, patience and routine rules the day. Feel free to ask questions and we’ll try our best to help.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always said that some ferals will come around with time but some never will and I always hate to say that, but young feral is your best bet, and from what it sounds like your doing fine, it takes time, and always talk in a normal voice when feral is near, that will always be a comfort to a feral kitten thats in a whole new world, and always remember this feral come from a world where all you think of is survival, toys and that sort of human world is like outer space to a cat that has been living in a wild world......
Time, time, time is your best bet...........I'm staying positive .....
Thank you for Caring....................

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello cat livers,
You ABSOLUTELY did the right thing!Charlie didnt even know what " happy " was but she sure will in a safe,secure ,loving forever home

Well ,once they are up high in a vertical " safe " space they can watch,listen and take in all your scents and doing comfortably- leave her be and let her move at her own pace- go about your business in your office,spend lots of time in there speaking to her softly and assuredly and she's very young- she's used to be fed by humans it will not be long before she comes down to eat in your presence- stay around quietly ,tap the bowl,step back a little,wait---- repeat ,repeat,repeat--- shell eventually associate your tapping with FOOD.... patience my friend,she's doing well after only 3 weeks.... it'll be fine

Kittens acclimate much faster than adults- don't try to " reach up" - that's threatening her safe space.....she has to get familiar with her environment and establish the room as her territory ( minimum 4-6 weeks) before she will be interested in getting to know you- then she'll be comfortable ,more confident and like all cats - curious ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charlie101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You've only had her for less than 3 weeks, so I think things sound like they are progressing a bit already, even if not as fast as you would like. There are some cats who can take months and months to acclimate. Her age suggests she should come around quicker than an adult cat in the same position might. I'd say she will turn around when she is ready and all you can do is be patient.
Maybe there are some tips in this TCS article that you can try - if at first she doesn't respond, try again later. No rush.
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite

Set up a 'hiding' box or two on the floor to see if she might show some interest in using one of them instead of on top of the wardrobe. It isn't a big deal if she doesn't, but if she were to do so, sitting on the floor near the box and softly reading a book out loud would help get used to your presence and voice. You can always have some treats with you to place in between her box and you, if she comes out to take them, that will help her realize you are not a threat to her. You can do something similar while she is still on top of the wardrobe too.

I am sure others will come along soon with some more ideas for you!
Thanks so much for replying. She’s just so fearful, I fear she may not come around… though did catch her inspecting living-room earlier today while we were resting on couch. Just got off phone with vet and thinks she may stay like this, hope he’s wrong! You’re right, much much patience needed… 🐈🐈⬛

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charlie101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You ABSOLUTELY did the right thing!Charlie didnt even know what " happy " was but she sure will in a safe,secure ,loving forever home

Well ,once they are up high in a vertical " safe " space they can watch,listen and take in all your scents and doing comfortably- leave her be and let her move at her own pace- go about your business in your office,spend lots of time in there speaking to her softly and assuredly and she's very young- she's used to be fed by humans it will not be long before she comes down to eat in your presence- stay around quietly ,tap the bowl,step back a little,wait---- repeat ,repeat,repeat--- shell eventually associate your tapping with FOOD.... patience my friend,she's doing well after only 3 weeks.... it'll be fine

Kittens acclimate much faster than adults- don't try to " reach up" - that's threatening her safe space.....she has to get familiar with her environment and establish the room as her territory ( minimum 4-6 weeks) before she will be interested in getting to know you- then she'll be comfortable ,more confident and like all cats - curious ❤
What a nice, encouraging message! Thank you and you’ve given me things to think about. Meow meow!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
What a nice, encouraging message! Thank you and you’ve given me things to think about. Meow meow!
My absolute pleasure Friend- it warms my heart to know that one more kitty has been given the chance to be the loving companion they all deserve - and to be loved right back!

After decades of socializing ferals and working with wild animals I've never met a furry creature that does not respond to LOVE(I say furry because reptiles are a bit different, lol)👍

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
though did catch her inspecting living-room earlier today while we were resting on couch.
This is very encouraging, IMO!! There are cats who can spend weeks, if not months, only coming out from their safe zone at night when no one is around. That she has come out while you are sitting there is very, very good!