seeking rescue shelter for FeLV positive kittens in CA

fiora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a volunteer at a no kill shelter. However, we do not have facilities for FeLV positive cats. These sweet kittens just came back from fostering and tested positive. Does anyone know of any California shelters for these kitties?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! We do have many members from California and hopefully someone will know of a place that cares and takes in FeLK cat's. Many vibes for the kittens :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, this seems like a great site and I look forward to exploring it more.

The kittens are scheduled to be euthed Thursday afternoon if we can't find a rescue to accept them. I hope something turns up!

fiora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
time is running out....

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did as much research as I could and this is all I came up with:

North County Humane Society
2300 Ramona Road
Atascadero, CA 93422
(805) 466-5403

Safe Haven Animal Sanctuary
Mailing:PO Box 9005
 San Jose, CA 95157
Telephone:(408) 420-SAFE (7233)
Fax:(866) 833-2451 (toll free)
E-mail:[email protected]
Also, how old are the kittens? I read any testing under 16 weeks can come up with false positives, and that they're really not all that rare. Is there any way the no-kill shelter can sort of quarantine them and wait until they are old enough to be tested again, if they are not of that age yet?

fiora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure of their age, but definitely less than 16 weeks. However they've had two positive tests. This shelter simply doesn't have a safe way of keeping them, and having them here is putting all of our other cats, including kittens that aren't vaccinated yet, at risk. Everyone here hates the idea of putting them down, but there's just no other option unless we can find a rescue for them.

Thanks for the link, we'll check it out immediately.

fiora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Safe Haven said no :(

Looks like there is nothing we can do.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's so sad. Did you try the North County Humane Society number I listed to in Atascadero? Their website said they have a FIV/FeLV sanctuary.

fiora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

I overlooked that number earlier - we called them and they are taking the kittens!  We are all so happy!

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG YAAAAAAYYY!!! This just literally made my day I am SO SO SO glad I found that place online!!! I was just googling everything I could to try to give you something to go off of!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job!!!!!!!!!!! and thank you to CLYNN :clap::clap::clap: for doing the legwork!!!!!!!!!!!! :hugs: :hugs: So happy for the kittens!!!!! :happy3:

fiora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL I did several google searches but failed tofind that shelter. Kudos to you!! And thank you so much!!