Seeking Homemade Dog Food Recipes for Kidney Disease: Any Recommendations?

jojow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to inquire if anyone has experience or recommendations regarding homemade dog food recipes suitable for canines with kidney disease.

My beloved pet has recently been diagnosed, and I want to ensure I'm providing the best nutrition possible to support their health.

I've heard that homemade diets tailored to kidney issues can be beneficial, but I'm not sure where to start.

If anyone has any recipes, tips, or resources they could share, I would be immensely grateful.

My priority is to ensure my furry friend gets the nourishment they need to thrive despite this condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jojow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to inquire if anyone has experience or recommendations regarding
homemade dog food recipes for kidney disease.

My beloved pet has recently been diagnosed, and I want to ensure I'm providing the best nutrition possible to support their health.

I've heard that homemade diets tailored to kidney issues can be beneficial, but I'm not sure where to start.

If anyone has any recipes, tips, or resources they could share, I would be immensely grateful.

My priority is to ensure my furry friend gets the nourishment they need to thrive despite this condition.
Thank you in advance for any assistance or insights you can offer.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to inquire if anyone has experience or recommendations regarding homemade dog food recipes suitable for canines with kidney disease.

I'm very sorry your dog has been diagnosed with kidney disease. Did your vet mention what "stage" he or she was in? What breed/mix do you have? (Just curious, as a dog owner myself!)

DogAware.com Health: Kidney Disease in Dogs
This might help you get started. There's a lot of information here, but don't feel overwhelmed. There's a section on diet in the index that you can click on.
See if your dog does better on a few smaller meals per day instead of one or two, as well.
I'm not sure if you're on facebook, but there are some homemade dog food recipe groups, and though I haven't looked I'm quite sure there are some groups focusing on home made diets for dogs with kidney disease.
When your dog was diagnosed, were any other values affected (liver, etc.)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jojow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very sorry your dog has been diagnosed with kidney disease. Did your vet mention what "stage" he or she was in? What breed/mix do you have? (Just curious, as a dog owner myself!)

DogAware.com Health: Kidney Disease in Dogs
This might help you get started. There's a lot of information here, but don't feel overwhelmed. There's a section on diet in the index that you can click on.
See if your dog does better on a few smaller meals per day instead of one or two, as well.
I'm not sure if you're on Facebook, but there are some homemade dog food recipe groups, and though I haven't looked I'm quite sure some groups are focusing on homemade dog food recipes for kidney disease.
When your dog was diagnosed, were any other values affected (liver, etc.)?
thank you so much for your suggestion