Seeking Advice For 8 Week Old Tabby

cmx1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My daughter is away at college.  The college allows pets in campus apartments and my daughter and her 4 roomates decided to get a kitten. Unfortunately the girls did not think ahead and decide who technically is the owner.  Fall semester ended and 3 of the roomates were going away for a good portion of the break, so my daughter brought the kitten home.  For the last 5 days the cat has been adjusting to our house but my wife and I were not seeking to have a pet.  I asked my daughter who will be taking the cat when it is spring break, summers, and most importantly 2 or 3 years from now after graduation and she keeps saying "We (her roomates) are all going to share and take turns".  I told her I do not know if that is best for the cat.  I keep saying that the cat will probably be better off having a permanent home with either us or another roomate's family or at least a primary owner that takes the cat when there is breaks.   

So I guess my question is; Would it be better for the cat to have a permanent home or is it OK for the cat to be shuttled back and forth to the college and someones home?

Thanks.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the cat's personality.  I know that my two fraidy cats would hate all the car rides and new places and would be better off with a permanent home.  However, I've also heard of cats that like to go camping and kayaking, etc.  I would say, in general cats like stability and predictability, but the cat might be young enough to adapt to all the changes.  

If I were you, I would just offer to keep the kitty whenever they might need you to, especially after college.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmx1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to add a picture of the kitten in my original post.  Here she is.

tomozuul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Arizona Transplant from Bay Area, California
I have known a few cats who really love travelling but the majority of them don't like it.

Honestly, I might try to get her into a permanent home while she is still a kitten and easier to adopt out if she isn't going to have a permanent home after college. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Even those cats who cope well with moving around a lot typically remain with the same person or family. In this case, the poor cat will be shuttled between people which will be very stressful on the cat. She may very well bond with one of them and grieve for that person when she's next moved. Then when she's finally feeling secure with her new home and human, she's disrupted again. Sure there are cats who like to travel but they have continuity with their people.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a past college student, I have seen this kind of thing before. Cats were allowed in some apartments. In most cases one person took responsibility for the cat. This is very important when it comes to paying  for things such as vet bills and food and cat litter. Having a couple own a cat is hard. Having a family own a cat is hard. Having a group of four roommates own a cat is a recipe for disaster.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone is allergic Boom cat needs to GO!  (asap) Students are only temp homes not long term permanent. I would not rehome to a student sorry. Just knowing the cat needs to be ditched at some point in the near future they will even say their mom will take it after or (someone else) they really like cats. Cats are a long term commitment. It's NOT a good idea to assume their folks will take their pets, their  "responsibilities"  all the time either.   A bit harsh, sorry.  Very pretty kitten 
as already mentioned she's young it wouldn't be to hard to find her a permanent home. Much less stressful for her in the long run.

Last edited:

nekojo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are terratorial animals and they like the space they are in. Although you do get cats who tend to wander, its only in much older cats and not kittens. Kittens need a permanent safe place and someone to love, a change of scenary and owner every few weeks/months could cause serious negative effects on Kittens health and well being. Stress from change of scenerary and depression from being taken away from which ever human they have decided is theirs.

This is just my opinion and 8+ years experience working with shelter Kittens that were shunted from home to home. I am in no way a professional.