Sedation to remove Matts

louise 28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are about to get our cats sedated at the vets to remove matts after going on holiday and leaving them with friends who I showed how to comb them but I guess it's not that easy when their not your own and don't particularly like to be groomed !!
We are apprehensive but it's the only way to get the matts out at this stage...... Wish us luck [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji]

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@Louise 28

Wow! Your cats must be pretty matted.
Mayb next time get their fur trimmed short before you go away? So that your friends don't have to groom them and better for your cats as they don't like to be groom especially not by you.

ollieoxenfree

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wondered about this myself, Sansa HATES being groomed and her fur mats so easily. We tried slickers, furminators, flea combs, dematter combs oh my goodness, we ended up buying an electric fur clipper! Because after spending months doing bit by bit brushing (I mean, one or two strokes while she is relaxed and then reward with treat) to no avail we just buzzed the fur right off. We wanted it to be a positive thing for her and as her short (really bad haircut) grew back the first time we tried the brushing to warm her up to it, again, to no avail. Sansa is the type to rumble about and get herself into little Sansy-adventures and the knots returned quickly so I understand your friends not wanting to brush all the time. 

Is sedation the best way to do it? Maybe, just to remove close-to-the-skin knots but after that try positive reinforcement. I am 3 years in and not much progress; we take Sansa outside on her harness and hack away at it with the clippers every few days. Trust me she looks hideous but I cannot bring myself to have her sedated. If I were you I would have the cat sedated at the vets because they would have the best knowledge of the pros and cons and also know the health of the cat whereas the groomers might not be trained in monitoring heart rate and health while sedated. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louise 28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree next time we go away we will Definately get them clipped before we go away, managed to get lots of shaving done ourselves in the meantime, I'm a hairdresser but have pet clippers was very gentle and no broken skin but relief for the cats I'm sure bless them,,,, I'm on top of the grooming everyday and they are used to me, but difficult to expect the same from strangers staying in our absence.
We think we've made the groomers job so much easier now but I would not recommend the shaving if you don't know what your doing as the skin is so fine and delicate if the knots are close to skin.
We managed it but lots of patience and a good light .
Thanks for advice and for the future, clip the cats before leaving them with friends [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louise 28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes we got a furminator also but I don't think they are good personally as they leave shorter hairs beneath the coat that will get matted quickly.
I brush our cats usually every day or comb them with a wide tooth comb with shorter comb in between which is good ,,,,,, I'm thinking a rake may be better will ask the groomer on Monday..... But I guess a light sedation once a year can't be that bad at a reputable vets .
We have 2 Persian X chinchilla tabby cats little beauties now they look like they've been caught in a combine harvester [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128532[/emoji] but better than having tight knots.
I'm a hairdresser but I'm now going to invest in the best clippers which I know are expensive, you have to be so careful not to knick the skin it takes a lot of patience and a good light but it can be done, most important not to stress as it will stress your cat and of course you need a second person to hold and stroke your cat. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ollieoxenfree

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Caught in a combine harvester, haha, yes that's the look Sansa has too! I wonder if you bought the wrong Furminator though, they make ones for long coats which have a longer blade.