Sedation for Travel

george913

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm taking my 15 month old cat to Massachusetts to live with my boyfriend for a while, Its a 3 hour plane trip, plus an hour in the airport in FL and MA. She's a very nervous cat and doesn't like to travel in her carrier at all. I'm considering sedation for the duration of the flight. She'll be out for about 6 hours. The doctors seem to think its okay but then again if they didnt they'd loss money. everything I've read about the bad effects of sedation has something to do with temparture and location in the plane. I not worry about that because she'll be in the passanger cabin with me. and I'll be able to keep an eye on her make sure nothings going wrong.

Can anyone tell me weather sedation is a good idea?

-Amanda

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, when we had to drive my Mum's cat on a 10 hour trip we sedated her and she was fine. Took her about 2 days to recover and then she was back to normal.

We just gave her a tablet in the morning and that was it!

But of course it does depend on the cat and potential side effects.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i am against sedating a cat that is traveling- I have heard to many horror stories from people who did

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what about a natural calming agent like rescue rememdy??

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, Amanda! I've been away for awhile & didn't get to greet you before....anyway, I would suggest trying to get your cat used to traveling in her carrier. You could try spraying some Feliway spray in her carrier & drive her around in the car- short trips at first. Just be sure to line the carrier with newspapers in case she gets freaked out & potties. Also, be sure to stay calm while driving with her "chorus" in full swing - it does make a difference. After you give that a go, you will have a much better idea of how your cat might do flying.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
My mom used pet-eze for cats (from petco) when she brought Oliver to my apartment from home (4 hour car trip) and he settled right down and slept the whole ride.... theyre a chewable tablet (Although she had to break it in half and pill him with them because he was stubborn) and are made by 21st century pet nutrition.... the ingredients listed are: liver meal, dried whey, stearic acid, brewers dried yeast, dried hops, chamomile, cellulose, ginger, taurine, magnesium silicate, DL-Tryptophan and magnesium stearate (if any of the experts can advise for or against any of those ingredients....) and the suggested use is 1 tablet per 10 pounds daily, not to exceed 4 tablets daily. Seemed to work well for him and he was back to normal by that night.... just a suggestion

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had terrible luck with sedating cats for travelling. I was driving through Nashville in 5 p.m. traffic, with Fred sedated in his carrier next to me. He woke up enough to become extremely agitated, break out of the carrier, and attack me. He jumped on my head, and began going in circles around my neck. By the time I got him back in the carrier, I looked like I had lost a fight with a cheese grater. It was a miracle niether one of us was badly hurt, and that I did not have a wreck. Fred was the most loving cat ever, and would never behaved like that under normal circumstances. I do not know what the sedative was, the vet gave it to me.

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your cat will be travelling in the passenger compartment with you sedation should be ok. You should never sedate an animal for a plane ride if they are going to be flown as cargo. The cargo hold is much colder than the passenger compartment and sedated animals do not regulate their temperature well, they can become hypothermic and die.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle

If your cat will be travelling in the passenger compartment with you sedation should be ok. You should never sedate an animal for a plane ride if they are going to be flown as cargo. The cargo hold is much colder than the passenger compartment and sedated animals do not regulate their temperature well, they can become hypothermic and die.
When I flew Tia to California from Toronto she went Cargo. She was not sedated and she handled the trip really well for a young kitty (about 11 wks. old). Air Canada will not transport animals in Cargo if the temperature outside is quite high or very low.

Personally, I would prefer not to sedate as you don't know what reaction they will have coming out of it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I have had terrible luck with sedating cats for travelling. I was driving through Nashville in 5 p.m. traffic, with Fred sedated in his carrier next to me. He woke up enough to become extremely agitated, break out of the carrier, and attack me. He jumped on my head, and began going in circles around my neck. By the time I got him back in the carrier, I looked like I had lost a fight with a cheese grater. It was a miracle niether one of us was badly hurt, and that I did not have a wreck. Fred was the most loving cat ever, and would never behaved like that under normal circumstances. I do not know what the sedative was, the vet gave it to me.
I know this isn't funny, but I have to tell you I was LMAO when I read this.

ccsr79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

the ingredients listed are: liver meal, dried whey, stearic acid, brewers dried yeast, dried hops, chamomile, cellulose, ginger, taurine, magnesium silicate, DL-Tryptophan and magnesium stearate
Funny Taurine is in Red Bull and all those energy drinks!

spoodysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It depends on the cat. If the trip is going to really really freak her out, sedating her would be better for her than the stress, but if she's just going to be a bit mad...don't bother.

seppolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently brought all 4 of my cats cross-country on a plane; one of my girls is painfully shy & has anxiety issues, so we sedated her. At her age (almost 9) the vet was reluctant to use Valium or Acepromazine (2 drugs commonly used to tranquilize cats) so we used Bendryl (diphenhydramine) instead. I wish I hadn't...being groggy & in an unfamiliar situation terrified her; she howled and moaned THE WHOLE WAY (6 hours!). I recently read some advice from Dr. Pitcairn, a leading holistic veterinarian, and he states that the homeopathis remedy Aconitum napellus 30c helps with fear & upset due to travelling. He recommends giving 1 pellet an hour before leaving your home & 1 pellet a few minutes before actually leaving the house. If necessary, another pellet can be given during the trip itself. He says that not only is the remedy safe, he finds it more effective than a tranquilizer. If I had read this before I travelled with my babies, I would have given it a try, so I just wanted to pass the information along. Here's wishing you an uneventful trip!

Amanda