Secret Santa Sign-Ups 2011!!!! CLOSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I see that there are several people who are unsure of exactly how this works. I'm going to attempt a brief explanation, and if anyone has any corrections, please jump in!

1. You send in your entry for the Secret Santa game/program/fun/silliness/chain letter/house party/baby shower/wedding shower/silliness...oh, wait, I already said that.

2. The PTB (Powers That Be) get all the entries and then match up some other person's entry with yours. It's not a reciprocal thing. In other words, you will have someone's name to send your Secret Santa gifts to, but they will not necessarily be the one sending gifts to you. That's why it's secret. Are the names just drawn out of a hat? Well, probably not. There is a certain amount of matching involved. For instance, if someone is located in the UK, they will likely get a recipient in the UK, unless they have said they are willing to ship overseas. Their SS will likely be in the same country, unless someone in another country said they are willing to ship overseas. This is to keep from causing a financial hardship on anyone.

3. Although the entry form asked for some hints, there will be a "Hint Thread" started once the SS matchups are made. That way, each person can post their preferences, clothes sizes, allergies, etc., in a public forum and each SS can look at that and get some ideas.

4. If you have some specific question about a gift, you can contact the Snoopers and they will contact your recipient to check for you. For example, last year I had an Ipod Shuffle I wanted to include in the gifts, but I had the Snooper check to be sure that was something my recipient would like to have.

5. You will send your gift in time to arrive by Christmas, if at all possible. Every year we have a few people who, due to emergencies, etc., don't mail in time or don't mail at all. It's not a disaster, although it's very disappointing for the recipient and embarrassing for the sender. If you find yourself in that situation, inform the PTB immediately when you realize you have a problem. They may contact others who will take up the slack, and they should (I think) ask early on for volunteers to fill in if someone has a problem. This is the internet; people disappear all the time, so we need to be prepared.

6. Some people go to great lengths to hide their identity from their recipient. Tricks like double-mailing (sending the gifts to someone else in the area to have it delivered, etc.), false names on packaging, etc., have been used in the past, although these days, shippers don't like it. I always figure it will come out eventually, so why be so cagey? But some people like to be sneaky. What can I say?

7. The gifts will start appearing very soon after the names are chosen. You can mail any time you want to.

8. When you receive it, take pictures of the package, the gifts, your furry helpers opening it, your kitties enjoying the gifts, you trying on the gifts, etc. That makes the enjoyment better for all the other members, and your Secret Santa will know they did good.

9. There are "dark siders" and "light siders." "Dark siders" are those who will open their gifts as soon as they get them. "Light siders" are those who want to wait until Christmas to open their gifts. We turn most erstwhile Light Siders into Dark Siders with our descriptions of our gifts.

10. One word about cost. Yes, there is a stated price limit on the gifts, and that is there to make it clear this is not about extravagance, but rather about making another member happy. You will see many Secret Santas spending way beyond the limit. Don't feel you have to. In fact, I know the most appreciated gifts are those that show thought, consideration, and an investment of self into the gift. One of my Secret Santas sent me a scrapbook they made about something I'm interested in, and it is one of my most prized possessions today. If you can afford to send a lot, that's great, and no one will criticize you. If you can barely afford the minimum and the shipping, that's great; we've all been there.

Any questions?
What confuses me is this: How do I know what to get someone if it is not one of my "friends"? I am not picky but how would they know what they would get me as well? Lastly are we supposed to send the gift well before or have it arrive for Christmas?

Thank you mega ditz me

Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Wow - I was going to sign up, but I actually haven't made 15 posts between the required dates...major bummer
I am sorry. Maybe they will let you play because you have so many post?

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

What confuses me is this: How do I know what to get someone if it is not one of my "friends"? I am not picky but how would they know what they would get me as well?
I have not done SS here, but I have done it and organized it on many other boards. First of all, the person that you buy for will probably NOT be the person buying something for you.

The "hints" and the later to come thread that MrBlanche was talking about are how you will know what to buy your recipient. They will give you sizes, likes, dislikes, etc. so you can then go out and shop for them.

Hope this helps.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlueRexBear

I have not done SS here, but I have done it and organized it on many other boards. First of all, the person that you buy for will probably NOT be the person buying something for you.

The "hints" and the later to come thread that MrBlanche was talking about are how you will know what to buy your recipient. They will give you sizes, likes, dislikes, etc. so you can then go out and shop for them.

Hope this helps.
Yes that was VERY helpful! Thank you very very very much

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woohoo, I got my confirmation so I'm in!

Cat Person, believe me, when you get the questionnaire it asks just about everything except your mother's maiden name lol. No, nothing that personal but you will have a chance (as will your recipient) to explain what you like or are interested in. I usually takes me about 1/2 hr to fill it out so it's pretty indepth. And any questions you have after that you can snoop on your own by going through old posts, or you can have the snoopers ask for you. You will love it!!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Woohoo, I got my confirmation so I'm in!

Cat Person, believe me, when you get the questionnaire it asks just about everything except your mother's maiden name lol. No, nothing that personal but you will have a chance (as will your recipient) to explain what you like or are interested in. I usually takes me about 1/2 hr to fill it out so it's pretty indepth. And any questions you have after that you can snoop on your own by going through old posts, or you can have the snoopers ask for you. You will love it!!
O wow there will be a question sheet and everything
. I get it now I think. Thank you for helping me too. I am sure you are thinking I am new to this planet and sometimes I am

Thank you again

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

O wow there will be a question sheet and everything
. I get it now I think. Thank you for helping me too. I am sure you are thinking I am new to this planet and sometimes I am

Thank you again
No problem hon, and you're only new to SS. Believe me, the first time I signed up I thought it would be like a SS at work. After I got the questions I was like, "these people are SERIOUS!
". Do a search for past SS threads ("SS thread" should bring them up) to get an idea of how it goes.

edit: try a search for Secret Santa Threads.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Woohoo!!! Looks like I can actually participate this year! Last year I didnt have enough posts in the specified time period...but this year I DO!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Cat Person, believe me, when you get the questionnaire it asks just about everything except your mother's maiden name lol.
oooh, we'll have to add that one this year

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

I got my confirmation! I am going to the beach in Sept. Maybe I can find something for my SS recipient!
Im going to the beach this weekend for my birthday!!!!
Im totally hitting up the outlets and seeing if I can find something for my SS!!!!!!!

CatPerson-Last year was my first SS participation and I HIGHLY recommend not only reading last years 'Hints' thread but also the Secret Santa Discussion thread and the "gift" thread. Not only are they hilarious but they will give you a great idea as to not only how to trick your SS but also how crazy the rest of us are!!! Seriously read them, time consuming because they are forever long but worth every gut busting moment!!!!

Bring on the llamas!! Im totally ready!!!

Llama llama DUCK!
someone needs to find that dang video again..LOL it was hilarious!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No problem hon, and you're only new to SS. Believe me, the first time I signed up I thought it would be like a SS at work. After I got the questions I was like, "these people are SERIOUS!
". Do a search for past SS threads ("SS thread" should bring them up) to get an idea of how it goes.

edit: try a search for Secret Santa Threads.
Okay thank you very much. I have started reading it. It is seems very good and "informative"
. Thank you very much again.

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

oooh, we'll have to add that one this year
All I can say is you must have a very detailed questionnaire
!

Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

.... CatPerson-Last year was my first SS participation and I HIGHLY recommend not only reading last years 'Hints' thread but also the Secret Santa Discussion thread and the "gift" thread. Not only are they hilarious but they will give you a great idea as to not only how to trick your SS but also how crazy the rest of us are!!! Seriously read them, time consuming because they are forever long but worth every gut busting moment!!!! ....
Thank you very much for that information as well. From what I have read it does seem funny. I am glad I joined this year

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I spent about 2 weeks last year reading the past threads. They were too funny to stop reading. Participating is a million times better than reading but also about a million times more stressful..especially when you track your package and your SS doesnt pick it up right away...LMAO literally the most stressful couple of days I had last year!!!!!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think I spent about 2 weeks last year reading the past threads. They were too funny to stop reading. Participating is a million times better than reading but also about a million times more stressful..especially when you track your package and your SS doesnt pick it up right away...LMAO literally the most stressful couple of days I had last year!!!!!
I did the same thing.
Last year was also my first year participating, so I went over all of the previous threads to make sure I understood exactly how it all happened and it goes me SO excited! It just really gives you something to look forward to, and I LOVED shopping for my Santee.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so happy to get more stress around the holidays

Originally Posted by Kailie

I did the same thing.
Last year was also my first year participating, so I went over all of the previous threads to make sure I understood exactly how it all happened and it goes me SO excited! It just really gives you something to look forward to, and I LOVED shopping for my Santee.
I am glad you liked it. So maybe I will
? No seriously, I am sure I will

Thank you all for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.