Second Kitten

momotyler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I need some opinions on whether adopting another kitten is a good idea. 

I have a 6 month old male kitten named Mew that is super sweet and loves attention, but dang it seems like he has unlimited energy. Of course I know he is a kitten and that is normal, but I'm wondering if I'm playing with him enough. I am a college student and am at class for most of the day, and when I am home I have to spend a lot of time on homework. I still play with him twice a day at the least for at least 20 minutes a session, but I don't think that is enough. Would getting another kitten help him to stay entertained and to expend some energy throughout the day? 

Another thing to consider is that I have a 7 year old chihuahua mix named Bella that is very timid around other animals. She is absolutely terrified of other dogs, but seems to do alright with Mew; she pretty much just ignores him most of the time. However, I think that is because I received Mew when he was only 4 weeks old, and she sensed that he was a baby and accepted him. I don't know how she would react to me bringing in another kitten, especially one that is around Mew's age and is much faster and more coordinated than Mew was when she met him. I went to the spca and they have some 3 month old kittens which I think she would be ok with since they're so young, but then would Mew be too rough with them based on the age difference?

I should also add that Mew does pounce on Bella sometimes when he is really wound up; would another kitten distract both of them from messing with her, or would they both mess with her? I know that I won't really know how they will act until I get another kitten, but do you guys have any opinions on that?

Oh, last thing. I received Mew when he was 4 weeks old and he is the first cat that I have ever owned. He was dropped off where I work in a paper bag and I volunteered to "foster" him (of course I ended up keeping him). The point is that he has not been around other cats since then. How do you guys think he would react to another kitten? Is he still young enough that he will adapt quickly, or will the lack of cat interaction make it more stressful that it's worth for him? He is very confident and outgoing, but I don't know if that separation could be a problem. Also, would getting another male be a problem (Mew is neutered but still).

Thank you guys for any advice you can give me, I realize that this is a lot of information to ask for at once.

P.S. I've heard that getting two cats makes them bond to each other more than to you, is that true? Just curious. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
You have a lot of great questions. We're not going to be able to give you exact answers. However, when introduced properly (link to article at bottom), most cats get along just fine. The most important question is do *YOU* want another kitten?

I want to say that you certainly don't have to worry about the cats bonding to each other and giving you the shaft. Quite the contrary! I have 6 cats and never lack for having one (or two, or three...) in my lap whenever they can manage. They all still very much want their attention from me.

Gender really isn't going to be the big issue for you. In general, male/male cats tend to be big buddies where as make/female tend to have more of a brother/sister relationship. (**I will note that females almost always end up beibg the boss in the relationship, regardless of who was there first**). You mostly want to focus on personality. If a cat has been in a foster home, you are going to be much more likely to get a better feel of that cat's personality.

Second, I think Mew may very well benefit from having a playmate of his own kind. Many cats really enjoy this, especially when they are young.

There is a big size difference between a 12 week old and a 6 month old. How rough Mew would be, I can't say. I would venture to say they he would likely rough play with another kitten much like he does your dog.

Lastly, if you do chose to bring Mew home a buddy, you will want to follow these introduction steps:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

The most important thing is not to rush the steps. With Mew being young, it's unlikely that it will take an extended period (6 mo to a year) to integrate a new cat. More likely two weeks or less.

Another option for you if you are still unsure is seeing if you could foster for the SPCA or a rescue in your area.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all of catpack catpack 's advice above, and you seem like a very thoughtful pet owner. It is especially important to consider whether you want a third pet, and whether you can afford a third pet.

One question, is your cat neutered? It should help mellow him out a bit, and will also prevent undesirable behavior in the future. It will also make any future introductions a lot easier.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most kittens absolutely LOVE other cats, so Mew would probably get along very well with a playmate. Since he was taken from his mother and littermates at such a young age, it would probably be good for him to have another cat learn cat things from, like to not use claws during play and how hard is too hard to bite someone.

Having a playmate will do a lot to keep boredom at bay, but they still need to be playtime with their people often. Providing lots of enrichment and rotating toys to keep things interesting also helps. They are kittens and are going to get into trouble, though, and 2 kittens means twice as many mischievous furballs to keep track of. If that's something you think you're prepared for, then I do think it would be really beneficial for Mew. It would probably be best to get someone his own age, especially because he hasn't been around younger kittens before and doesn't understand that they're more fragile than he is.

Bella is going to be the sensitive element. I don't see age mattering so much for her; it's going to be a big adjustment for her regardless. The most important thing is to take introductions slowly, at Bella's pace, and give her lots of treats for being such a good, patient dog! (Also to create positive associations with the new kitten.) That she's already used to the antics of one cat will help a lot, it's just the newness of the second cat that is going to take some adjustment. She will have to learn that this kitten isn't a threat. It's important to spend just as much time with Bella as you normally do, but also be very careful not to seem anxious about her, because she interpret that as anxiety about the new cat and any fears she has will be confirmed.

Introducing dogs to cats is pretty much the same as introducing cats to new cats (the article linked by CatPack above goes through it in detail), except normally you have to account for dog's prey drive. But it doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue with Bella. I'd just follow her lead, slow down whenever Bella shows signs of being uncomfortable, and just generally take your time. The kittens will probably get comfortable with each other much more quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momotyler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the quick reply.

Of course I want a new kitten, otherwise I wouldn't consider getting another one. I just didn't want to make the decision based on my want to get another one and not based on what was best for the animals that I already have. But from what you've told me and from what I've read online, it seems like another kitten would be a good idea for everyone (which is great news for me). 

I suppose a 3 month old kitten is too young, Mew does get pretty rough and the kittens I saw today were still a little wobbly. I'll just keep looking for one that is closer to his age and size (Mew is very tiny, he looks like a 4 month old and is barely 5.5 pounds).

I read the link for introductions and it's great information. One question though, would I use the blanket technique for Bella as well?

Thanks again for the advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momotyler

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm so the consensus here seems to be that adding another kitten is a good idea. Yes Mew is neutered so I figured getting another male wouldn't be a problem, just wanted to make sure. I never considered the idea that Mew could learn to be a cat from another kitten, that would probably be really beneficial for him. Maybe he'll actually learn the slow blink (I've tried so many times and he looks at me like he's bored, he probably never learned it). Thank you also on the advice with Bella, I will just have to take things slow with her. 

So I guess I'm adding a new kitty to the family! Yay! Now I just have to find the right fit.