Second cat personality?

mozzarellastick

Mom to Mozzie and Catrick
Young Cat
Purraise
For those of you who have successfully added a second adult cat to your household with an existing adult cat: what personality/sex combos worked for you? I know it's a bit of a coin toss when it comes down to it, but I want the best chance of success as far as I can control. My existing cat is 4 to 6 years old, playful, affectionate, very attention-seeking, and I believe she will be quite guarded/territorial at first. I'm hoping to find her a companion who can keep her company during the day and play with her the way she wants to be played with. Should the new cat be older or younger? Male or female? Smaller than her or larger? Calm or more energetic? Mellow or feisty? I have some idea, but I know some of these may not matter as much as I think they will, and that cat chemistry can be luck-of-the-draw even if you do everything right.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally it's easier to introduce a kitten to an older cat, than an adult cat, but even that doesn't mean it will go smoothly. All introductions are different, and it really depends on both cat's personalities. But it also depends on how they are introduced.

No matter how old the new cat is, do be prepared to keep it in a separate room at first, and slowly introduce it to your resident cat. You want to let the resident cat continue it's normal routines, so that the addition of the "intruder" goes as smoothly as possible.

Here are a couple TCS articles on cat introductions.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

As for choosing your 2nd cat, here's this TCS article that might be helpful:
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty | TheCatSite

Good luck. Hope you find the purrfect best friend for your existing cat. :catlove:

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You look like you are prepared pretty well you obviously did the research. I always did unpopular thing and added a kitten. It’s almost ALMOST fool proof (not in my case). Most time is faster and deeper bond then two adults, where you mostly get roommates situation (you know how that can go). My last added kitty is a boy who will not take no for a answer. When he decides that he will sit in your lap no amount of slapping will make him move. He just waits for the cats to give up and give in to whatever is that he wants to do. He is never aggressive just stubborn.I think he would do well in any household. I got lucky with them all so far. Go with your hear and kitty that speaks to your soul. Hopefully, it will with time work out. There are never guarantees for anything in life. I know this is the weekend you are picking your new kitty, good luck and can’t wait to see the baby. (Maybe boy, girls are queens, and there can be only one queen) lol

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I've added adult cats to the mix and I've added kittens. I've added a second cat to an only cat, and I've added a third cat to two cats. Other than the two kittens joining the 7-year-old, adult ages have been all over the place and every experience has been different. I know that's not helpful! But what I wanted to say is that every instance of adding a new cat to the household has required tremendous patience and perseverance for varying lengths of time. You also need to be able to isolate new cat for a period of time so you can give each of them some stress-free time. The articles that rubysmama rubysmama has provided are a great place to start!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your stories! As far as adding a kitten... would an older kitten be better? Mozzie loves to play/has roomies a couple times a day, but I don't want a kitten to drive her nuts! Also, I've considered a kitten just on the basis that she had several batches of her own kittens before I adopted her, and was apparently very maternal with them, so I wonder if she might take a motherly role with a young newcomer.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Hmm. If she's had litters of her own, she might do well with a kitten since you've been told that she was maternal. Yes, a kitten might torment her--probably will drive her nuts--but as a mom, she probably knows how to be firm with a kitten. Older or younger? Maybe younger. More time to put the kitten in its place. :lol:

Mocha was three when I adopted her (my other two were sisters and 13), and the shelter said she was picked up from the street with a litter of her own. They were all adopted out, and she was then given a litter to foster. I observed her myself with her foster kittens, and she was a wonderful mother. Lily barely tolerated her, but Iris has bonded strongly with her, and Mocha spends a lot of time "mothering" the much-older cat. I adopted another older cat many years ago (she was about six), and she also had been observed as being a good mother. She was very good with the resident cat, another older female. So there may be something to what you're thinking.

But again, who knows? I'm always torn about whether people should adopt kittens since so many older cats need homes and are so often overlooked for the cute and cuddly. But adopting an older cat can be so incredibly rewarding. Despite being a total fool over kittens--and I've had several--I've also adopted a lot of older cats and am so glad I did. :)

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
But again, who knows? I'm always torn about whether people should adopt kittens since so many older cats need homes and are so often overlooked for the cute and cuddly. But adopting an older cat can be so incredibly rewarding. Despite being a total fool over kittens--and I've had several--I've also adopted a lot of older cats and am so glad I did. :)
I have the same conflicted feelings, I just want to do what's ultimately best for Mozzie. When I adopted her, I went to the shelter and asked which cat had been there the longest, and it was her (not super long by regular standards, but the rescue I use has a vast and loyal clientele so a month was long for them!). I wanted an adult because I definitely didn't have the time to socialize a kitten, nor did I want to adopt two cats as a first-time owner. I just want Mozzie to have a good companion, and it's a little stressful to not be able to know 100% how to get that for her. I hate uncertainty lol but that's the life of a pet parent sometimes.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s difficult adding more cats to a household.

This winter I ended up with 3 younger cats (6-8 months) and my 17 year old cat isn’t really a fan of them. Some days are good and some days are not. It definitely takes a lot of patience and make sure you have a place to keep them separate if needed

mozzarellastick

Young Cat
Purraise
It’s difficult adding more cats to a household.

This winter I ended up with 3 younger cats (6-8 months) and my 17 year old cat isn’t really a fan of them. Some days are good and some days are not. It definitely takes a lot of patience and make sure you have a place to keep them separate if needed
It's been two days and they haven't even met yet! Just a lot of getting used to each other's scent and eating their meals on either side of a closed door. Newbie's name is Sir Catrick Stewart and he's a 9 month old love bug. Taking everything in stride and napping a lot. Mozzie's done some predictable hissing and growling to express her grievances but she's pretty chill tonight so I take that as a good sign! She didn't even get upset when she smelled that he'd been napping on my bed all afternoon, just rubbed on my pillow to reassert her scent-dominance and sprawled out for a nap. Here they are as of this evening:

lv0+44l7RMyaPewsJQwAEA.jpg
KxCoYGmHSCCKJE6Az3f3GQ.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, wow, you've adopted a new cat already! Congrats. Sir Catrick Stewart is a cutie pie. As is Mozzie,

Good luck with the introductions. Hope your 2 fur babies will eventually be besties. :catlove: