Seasonal behaviours for my spayed 2 year old?

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

These past few weeks, my 2 year old female has been very focal and restless. She's spayed, and other wise seems healthy: eats, plays and uses the litter box as normal.

Lately she seems restless, follows me around the house and has become very vocal! She's a vocal cat to begin with, which we love about her, but it seems like since it's warmed up here (west coast Canada), she's been this way. Is this normal seasonal behavior? "Spring fever" so to speak? We have a couple of male cats that roam the street/our yard and have sprayed in the gardens. I do take our cat out for leashed walks which normally last at least 40 minutes! After her walks, she seems to settle down a bit.

Anyway, just curious if anyone else has experienced this?! Thanks guys!

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I few days ago I took my almost 2-year neutered female to the vet the because she is itching around her neck and ears, to the point where one ear lacks fur, and some small wounds has formed. I suspected allergy. The vet think is is "spring-fever", and that my cat uses all her feverish energy to scratch. I live in Sweden where the spring is on the way. I take her for walks in a leash, up to one hour a day, and she seems calmer and more content after walking me around.... to climb all trees, catch all dry blowing leaves and all the birds, not to mention the tired flies that has woken up from the winter....

I got a spray that stops the itching that I can use on the ear if she scratches a lot, I´ve increased her walks to two a day, and play more in the evening. Two days later, the itching has stopped, and I´ve used the spray once!

So, in my ears it sounds like "spring-fever". 

Last edited:

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet mentioned that pure-bred cats normally don´t get as restless in the spring as house cats. My cat is a mix of siamese and house cat, and due to her ears- maincoon? Norwegian cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet mentioned that pure-bred cats normally don´t get as restless in the spring as house cats. My cat is a mix of siamese and house cat, and due to her ears- maincoon? Norwegian cat?
Interesting. Haven't heard of that.

We adopted her from a local shelter, with no background info on her "breed". All we know is that she came from a "cat hoarding" house. By the look of her, we think there may be maine coon in her, but without any history or background we can't be sure. She has grown fluffier since we got her - ear tuffs, and fur tuffs on her paws. She's been a very easy going cat so we've been very lucky! :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Birds and other wildlife are more active now that spring is close and the days are longer, so it's natural that our cats are, too. My vote is for "spring fever", too.