Searching For Anyone With Teeny Tiny Kitten Experience

Ziakatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All
I have a tiny kitten. Just 6 oz today at 8 weeks. She's still nursing on a bottle of goats milk. Isn't interested in real food yet. But uses the potty box and plays with her siblings. The vet says shes in perfect health and has a strong heart.
Anyones experiences in rearing a tiny tyke like my Angel is appreciated.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for caring for her! It’s great that the vet said that she was in perfect health, that’s very promising! The one thing I would recommend (in addition to looking at the excellent articles that Furballsmom linked to), would be to weigh her frequently, just to make sure that she’s still growing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much and how often does she eats? Any chance you can get more into her?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my!! What a little cutie!! :loveeyes:
I had a tiny baby who never got larger than a 10 week old kitten but despite being sick early on, lived to be a healthy adult. I didn't get her spayed until she was 8 months but other than that, she was normal. The worst problem that I had was that the other cats tended to play too rough with her and treating her like a toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ziakatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my!! What a little cutie!! :loveeyes:
I had a tiny baby who never got larger than a 10 week old kitten but despite being sick early on, lived to be a healthy adult. I didn't get her spayed until she was 8 months but other than that, she was normal. The worst problem that I had was that the other cats tended to play too rough with her and treating her like a toy.
Oh that's great news. She drinks her goats milk 6 times per day and is on the verge of eating from a dish. The vet offered her some tuna and she was interested! Her siblings do not cut her any slack but aren't too rough with her. Introduction to the house will be scary as she is so small and underfoot. Thank you for your comment. It makes me feel there is hope she can live a wonderful life.

Ziakatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for caring for her! It’s great that the vet said that she was in perfect health, that’s very promising! The one thing I would recommend (in addition to looking at the excellent articles that Furballsmom linked to), would be to weigh her frequently, just to make sure that she’s still growing.
I weigh her once a day. She grows by mere 10ths of an ounce every few days. Good news is she never backslides. I feel once her body can begin accepting and processing food she will take off. Im sold on the goats milk. Always used KMR which ended in gassy bellies etc... there has been no issues with a rumbly belly using goats milk. Thank you for your comments.

Ziakatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg she is so tiny, nawweeeee i wanna hug her , naaawwweee so cute :)
I could just squish her too! Have to be so very careful not to step on her. When she's hungry she's hell on wheels. She will crawl right up your pants in nothing flat! Lol... thank you for your comments.

Ziakatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a cat that was born that tiny. I know they found number of issues she had (if I remember correctly, calcium imbalance and something with kidneys) but nothing that couldn’t be treated. In fact, they managed to get her in the right track and she just turned a year as a completely healthy, almost correct size kitty. I can check all the diagnostic and treatment she had if you want. I know they started with the blood diagnostic panel which was very challenging as she was so small that for some time it wasn’t safe to take her blood, but apparently for Idexx diagnostic panel only a very small amount is needed (vet mixed it with something before sending out, she was around 350gr when it was possible to draw blood). I know your story can be completely different, but if it were me, I’d check that blood at least to see if it’s possible to get her growing after all.
I know they stopped breeding her parents to avoid that in the future.

Ziakatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know a cat that was born that tiny. I know they found number of issues she had (if I remember correctly, calcium imbalance and something with kidneys) but nothing that couldn’t be treated. In fact, they managed to get her in the right track and she just turned a year as a completely healthy, almost correct size kitty. I can check all the diagnostic and treatment she had if you want. I know they started with the blood diagnostic panel which was very challenging as she was so small that for some time it wasn’t safe to take her blood, but apparently for Idexx diagnostic panel only a very small amount is needed (vet mixed it with something before sending out, she was around 350gr when it was possible to draw blood). I know your story can be completely different, but if it were me, I’d check that blood at least to see if it’s possible to get her growing after all.
I know they stopped breeding her parents to avoid that in the future.
Yes thats correct. She will get blood tests when shes stronger. 6 oz is way too small to draw blood safely. I will have her thryoid checked along with the other tests. Her mom had 7 babies which depleted her system and of course made for some tiny babies. 2 did not thrive but Angel did. She may just be an anomoly and survive on into her teens or she could die tomorrow. For now she's happy and appears to be healthy. We will love her until we can't. Thank you for your advice. We are right on course with your suggestion. Momma will be spayed next week. Although she has beautiful sweet babies, I would not want to bring her down with another large litter like this one. Give me 4-5 babies anytime. More than 5, no thanks! Thanks again

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes thats correct. She will get blood tests when shes stronger. 6 oz is way too small to draw blood safely. I will have her thryoid checked along with the other tests. Her mom had 7 babies which depleted her system and of course made for some tiny babies. 2 did not thrive but Angel did. She may just be an anomoly and survive on into her teens or she could die tomorrow. For now she's happy and appears to be healthy. We will love her until we can't. Thank you for your advice. We are right on course with your suggestion. Momma will be spayed next week. Although she has beautiful sweet babies, I would not want to bring her down with another large litter like this one. Give me 4-5 babies anytime. More than 5, no thanks! Thanks again
Great, if you need any more info on what my friend did with her little one once you have test results, let me know and I'll get whatever info I can (although it was not in US, I'm sure most things will still be relevant). Yours looks like a hamster :redheartpump:

Ziakatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great, if you need any more info on what my friend did with her little one once you have test results, let me know and I'll get whatever info I can (although it was not in US, I'm sure most things will still be relevant). Yours looks like a hamster :redheartpump:
You are awesome, Thanks!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be very interested in following your little girl's progress, especially after the labs come in. My little cat Polly was a feral and, as you can imagine, feral rescue in a dogcentric area with no cat groups within 100+ miles in any direction is done on an individual basis so it is cost prohibitive for our kittens to have extensive vet care but I am always interested in possibilities.

Ziakatz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much and how often does she eats? Any chance you can get more into her?
Hi there, i feed Angel when she's ready. 4-5 times per day and all she can hold. I am now mixing food into her goats milk. Seems to sit well with her. She did try to lick from a dish the others were eating out of but she tipped in too far and got a nose full. That ended that. She is using the potty box and playing. Seems happy. She is gaining around .1 oz every couple days now. She is 6.7 oz.