Screaming cat...I need sleep!!!!!

loudcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I'm at the end of my rope and need any suggestions I can get about how to handle a situation with my cat. Sorry, this is going to be long, but I want to cover all bases.

Let me tell you a little about George:

George is a 4 year old neutered house cat (I live in an apartment in the city, he does not go outside) of no specific breeding, I've had him since he was 9 weeks old, he was from a batch of farm kittens. George is generally a fabulous cat, he is very people oriented, I have a dog who he is best friends with, he is very smart (knows a whole array of tricks). He does think he is the boss of the world though, and although he is a very sweet, cuddly and gentle cat most of the time, when he gets frisky he likes to try to impose his will over us (biting mostly - not hard of maliciously, just to be bossy). I say that only so you know he is a dominant cat - my problems are not with this behaviour, it's not a big deal at all, I just walk away from him any time he does it.

I would also like to add that I've worked with animals my whole life and understand animal behaviour quite well.

Now, here is my problem...George is a VERY chatty/vocal cat. All he does is talk and yell and meow and scream, especially in the mornings/while I'm trying to sleep. He has always done this, but since I've moved he has done it even more. I know this can be brought on by stress but, as I mentioned, I understand him quite well and do not feel he is stressed (plus he HAS always done this, he is just going through a particularly terrible phase right now). We have moved several times during his life and he actually loves the moving process, loves new spaces, even loves car rides.

It is partly to get his breakfast (he gorges and cannot be free fed) - although his whole life I've made a solid effort to not reward this behaviour by feeding him when he yells.

Lately, however, I give him his breakfast and he's right back outside my door screaming more. If I let him him he just stands on my bed and meows trying to wake me up - so letting him in is not an option. I recognize the fact that he is likely bored and make an effort to play with him lots every day (we live in an apartment in the city, we don't have a balcony nor yard he can visit unfortunately), but I play with his kitty tease with him, chase him around, I got him one of those busy balls that you put their food in and they have to roll it around to get it out, he and the dog play frequently...I'm not sure what else I can do for this guy.

I had another cat for the first 2.5 years of his life, who sadly died of a eurethral obstruction last year. For about 3 months in the summer my sister was living with me and she had a cat - a 2nd cat in the home really helps keep him busy and quieter (although this behaviour never goes away), I am not, however, in a place where I'm able to get a 2nd cat at this point.

He wakes me up screaming at least 3 times every night. I tried ignoring him for months on end, no difference. I tried squirting him, no difference. I am loosing my mind and finding myself resenting him when I'm exhausted all day. I also have a room mate and it is stressful for me because I don't want him waking her up. I couldn't even guess the last time I had a full nights sleep.

I love this cat and don't want to rehome him, but I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking he needs to be somewhere he can go outside and get more exercise and stimulation.

I'm a student and I work, so I'm gone for long periods of time. My mom lives on a farm and has been trying to get him to come live with her forever (aside from this he really is a fabulous kitty!)...I would rather not have to do that, but it really seems like he is really, really bored here...any suggestions?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say you feed him and he comes in still howling, does he finish the food? If he does, he may want more food.

There are ways to slow a cat down when eating. Putting large objects in the food bowl so they have to hunt and peck out the food. That slows them down and buys you sleeping time. the fact that this happens around breakfast and in the night tell me he may not be getting enough food. I ve heard of people using a cupcake pan with maybe a ping pong ball in each one.

I would def try free feeding him that way. It sounds like he is hungry. Although, I would consider having him checked over also....hyperthyroidism can have those symptoms. I have had two kitties with that and they are very vocal and hungry.

I am sure there will be other suggestions.

jnt840

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It makes it harder because you have a roommate. I live in a small apt and my landlords are below me and also across the hall from me in this split-up house. Their two requirements for me having a cat were that it was clean and quiet. I'm worried they'll hear my cat at night, but so far they haven't said anything. I bought some of that foam insulation to put around the door jams for the doors that would lead into the neighbors apartment. Your roommate might want to put this around her bedroom door.

I wish I could sleep with my kitty, but he does the same thing. I put him out of the bedroom, close my door tight, put in ear plugs, turn the fan on high and set it by the door ...and, finally I have been getting some sleep!

If you love the kitty, maybe give that a try. Your mom's place sounds great too, plus you'd still be able to visit him.