Scratching

nickdnhr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What can I spray on my bedroom door and the carpet in front of my bedroom door to keep my cat from scratching/pawing at it?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@NickDNHR

If the cat is scratching on the door because the door is closed and you are on the other side of it, there is one very effective (essentially 100% effective) spray to use, its called, "Open-The-Door Spray" :-).  Seriously, that's the only thing i know that works, opening the door.  If its your bedroom and you have allergies, you;re in a tough spot, but refusing to open the door for a few weeks or months may eventually train the cat to give up, but the process will be painful for you both.

You could try giving the cat a cosy cat bed, and a late night meal (if this is a nighttime behavior) or another cat for friendship, but you are bumping up against a very strong hard-wired need of the cat to be with you on the other side of the room.  Turtles and fish are good examples of animals that don't have this need. :-)

Right now the cat is training you.  If you open the door (regardless of how long you wait) while the cat is scratching or meowing, then the cat is training you and winning.  If you are refusing to ever open the door, then you are training the cat, but the cat is going to fight you tooth and nail on this, and probably for a very long time.

I wish there was a better answer.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously your cat wants IN and wants to sleep with you.  If you are unwilling to sleep with your cat, perhaps you need to set up a specific sleeping area for your cat and put him/her there at bedtime.  You can set up a bathroom or another room with his litter box, food & water and a nice bed, or you can get a nice large dog crate and set that up the same way and put your cat in there when you go to bed.  It could either be next to your bed, so your can would have your company, or else in another room.  Rather than deter your cat from trying to be with you, it's best to find a solution that will work for both of you, so you can sleep in peace and he can sleep at least close to you so he will not be lonely.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Red Top Rescue's idea is a solid one if you have no other recourse.  Get the cat used to sleeping in a different room like a bathroom that is made very cosy for the cat will help in that you shouldn't have to hear the cat trying to get to you, even if she's at that door trying to get out.