Scratching & Vomiting

mellkook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
please excuse my English, am not a native English speaker. P.S.: this post contains wound and vomit pics

Our cat Oslo (Chinchilla) started excessively scratching that lead to open wounds about a month and a half ago. We took him to a vet immediately, they said he might have some kind of allergy and they vaccinated him, told us to buy him food for allergic cats (VERY expensive...), prescribed some cream for his wounds also. We did everything we could but all he would do is just scratch himself more and cry while looking out of the window. We dressed him hoping he can't scratch himself however, he finds a way to take it off, or just scratches the uncovered parts... all he does is scratching and cleaning. All day. We took him to another vet since the previous one couldn't find out what's wrong with him. The new vet made some blood diagnosis and said there's absolutely nothing wrong with him. Everything is good. Prescribed some wound healing ointments and vitamins and said he's probably stressed and lonely, could be missing our old female cat, and can't find anything better to do other than cleaning and scratching. The wounds heal rapidly, however he keeps making new ones... Yesterday, he even started vomiting. We really don't know what's wrong with him... We always shower him with love and do everything for him. If anybody has an idea what could be wrong with Oslo, please respond 🙏 Thank you.

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vomiting, if it has reoccurred, I would take to a vet for straight away. If he is licking at the wound sites, he could have ingested some of the ointment, which is possibly toxic.

Has a vet performed any sort of cytology, or skin scrapes? If not, I would seek a vet that can perform this, might give you a better idea of what is causing this. Have you tried ruling out food allergies of any kind, or have you changed his diet recently? If it is stress related, which is a possibility, have you tried anything to address this? I have heard Feliway diffusers or similar can be good for this issue. Lats question, is he allowed outdoors?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just in case it IS stress related, here is a good article about stress in cats: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

If he does go outside,or possibly even if not, he could have allergies to fleas, and it only takes one flea bite to cause continual itching. Has anyone at the Vet's office suggested trying allergy pills? sometimes that helps, but not if it's food related. If it's food related, it takes several weeks to determine once you switch foods.