scratching on couch

sheltieluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All my cats are declawed( I didn't know any better and feel terrible) My kitten is 5 months old I'm not declawing him but I need Ideas on how to keep him from scratching my couch. He's pretty good as I don't see him do it often and he will stop when I do catch im if I do ah, ah then show him where its ok to scratch. I'm getting him more scratching posts today. I'm going to put a vertical one where the couch is so maybe he will scratch that instead. Anything else will bitter apple work?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he a horizontal or vertical scratcher? Make sure you get posts that matches his style. Does he like laser pointers? One way I've found effectively is to play with him with the laser pointer, and then shine it at the post. He'll eventually claw the post in an attempt to get that pesky red dot, and once he's done it a few times, he gets the idea. 

If a laser pointer doesn't work (like my silly cat), a favorite toy can work too. Dangle the toy where the post is, and tease him so that he really has to claw at the post to get the toy. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheltieluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have different kinds of scratching posts. I'm going to get him one of the ones thats on an angle. I have a scratch mat too and a small cat tree. I'm also going to get the ones you hang. I like the laser pointer idea I will give that a try. Like I said hes not bad but I can see where he must do it when I'm not around and there are a few pulls in the one spot.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Until he's fully trained, you could use the SoftPaws on him to protect the couch.

sheltieluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got him another scratcher that is different from the other ones. I also got a laser pointer to help him scratch on the posts and some spray thats supposed to stop scratching. Not sure if it will work but worth a shot. My last resort will be the press on claws but I couldn't believe how expensive they were so I'm going to price them online.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have had luck with using double-sided tape on areas my cats scratch while I work on redirecting them to more appropriate scratching surfaces. Might be worth a try on your couch.

terianne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lots and lots of scratching posts, otherwise...if you're worried that much about your furniture...and I don't mean this to sound terrible, but don't have cats for pets.

I say this because cats are naturally destructive. It's in their nature to *scratch* and shed the outer claw skin. The best way to protect your furniture if you have cats is to use slip covers...the loose ones that tie on the corners. They work great, they're not that expensive and still look nice and they're washable, then the cat can't get to the fabric on the couch itself.

Cats are going to scratch...it's what they do. The molding around the interior doors in my home is evidence enough. :lol3: There's ways to protect those too.

I'm happy you realize it was wrong to declaw the kitties and hopefully they will always be with you so you can protect them from predators should they ever accidently get outside. They have absolutely no way to defend themselves should they be chased by another cat or dog. They can't climb or run fast enough to get away, they are dead if they escape the home if you don't get them back in soon enough.

Hope this helps. :wavey:

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I grew up with cats and my parents always had furniture that had tapestry or chenille type fabric or herringbone weaves cause it a stands up better to cat claws and threads that do come undone are camouflaged by the pattern. I have a funny memory of my mom "trimming" one of the couches of its lose threads. Of course that only helps if you wanna buy new furniture and I'm guessing you don't! But yeah, every time we got new furniture, the cats were taken into consideration! No leather, suede, vinyl, microfiber anything for us!

sheltieluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lots and lots of scratching posts, otherwise...if you're worried that much about your furniture...and I don't mean this to sound terrible, but don't have cats for pets.

I say this because cats are naturally destructive. It's in their nature to *scratch* and shed the outer claw skin. The best way to protect your furniture if you have cats is to use slip covers...the loose ones that tie on the corners. They work great, they're not that expensive and still look nice and they're washable, then the cat can't get to the fabric on the couch itself.

Cats are going to scratch...it's what they do. The molding around the interior doors in my home is evidence enough.
There's ways to protect those too.

I'm happy you realize it was wrong to declaw the kitties and hopefully they will always be with you so you can protect them from predators should they ever accidently get outside. They have absolutely no way to defend themselves should they be chased by another cat or dog. They can't climb or run fast enough to get away, they are dead if they escape the home if you don't get them back in soon enough.

Hope this helps.
Sorry but I never said I was that worried about my furniture I just said I wanted ways to train my kitten to scratch on appropriate areas. Its an old couch someone gave me. I understand cats naturally have to scratch but you can train them not to destoy your house or belongings. Just like having dogs that like to chew you wouldn't let them destoy your molding, walls, furniture just because they are dogs. You would train them to chew on thier toys and appropriate things.

The lazer pointer is working and this morning he went over to his cat tree and was scratching.

terianne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry but I never said I was that worried about my furniture I just said I wanted ways to train my kitten to scratch on appropriate areas. Its an old couch someone gave me. I understand cats naturally have to scratch but you can train them not to destoy your house or belongings. Just like having dogs that like to chew you wouldn't let them destoy your molding, walls, furniture just because they are dogs. You would train them to chew on thier toys and appropriate things.

The lazer pointer is working and this morning he went over to his cat tree and was scratching.
Try the slip covers too, the cats don't like them because they can't get their claws to stick in them. Ever since I put them on the couch, love seat and chair, they haven't scratched on them. You won't always be there with a lazer pointer to direct them.