Scratching neck issue

jvmay1703

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had an abscess a few weeks ago. It’s healed fine but he started scratching right up under where they cut him. We took him back to the vet. Got an antibiotic shot to help heal but he’s still scratching. We haven’t changed food or anything. Normally in the past the shot would quickly heal in a few days. It’s been probably two weeks now since the shot. What else can I do? It’s awful!!

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would contact your vet and see if you can use any antibacterial ointment on it with gauze

Ask if you can put the ointment on then gauze then wrap him with a gauze wrap around his neck.. you will have to change it often (multiple times a day) and make sure that the gauze that is on the wound is either the kind that will not stick or that it is saturated with ointment because if not it will dry out and stick to his wound and hurt him when changing his dressing.

DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS ADVISED BY YOUR VET

He needs a way he isnt scratching at it. You should send the vet pictures of it and see what they recommend.

He may need to be seen by your vet..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like it is itchy - and that could have been from the healing process, but now it has gotten out of control, and I have no other suggestion that what was made above.

Get a hold of the vet, and if need be, send them a pic so they can see it definitely needs to be treated. He may need a steroid shot to help with healing - and ask the vet about something to help reduce the itchiness if they don't think the steroid shot will help with that too.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry, this needs to see the vet again. You need to figure a way to keep him from mutilating himself and allow that area to heal. Is there still the big hole on the neck like pictured in the first picture. Because that looks like it needs immediate vet intervention. In the meantime, don’t put anything on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jvmay1703

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
Took cat to the vet. They did some test to find out why it is not healing. They found that he has a heart murmur and is anemic, which is separate from the neck issue. She didn't want to give a steroid bc of the heart issue so she gave me something liquid to put in his food. Some type of anti inflammatory. She also have him a light steroid that last 3 days. He also got Covenia- this is the third time with this one. Honestly I do thing he is scratching less, but not sure this is going to heal fast. Thank you all for the advice.