Scratching Face/head Raw

NBennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help!! When Iggy was around 8-9 months old he started to scratch the top of his head and around his ears so badly he would be bloody and raw. Since March, we have taken him to the vet once to twice a month. He's been tested for ear mites, skin mites and scabies. He's had blood work, skin scrapings, skin impressions and ear swabs done. Everything comes back perfectly fine/normal. He's been on antibiotics, oral steroids and steroid injections, ointments, ear drops, medicated ear cleaners, antihistamines and has been wearing a cone. We now have him on Hills z/d prescription food to rule out food allergies. It'll all clear up and he's back to normal for a month and then right back to the scratching/bleeding/scabbing. He's too smart for his own good, and reaches his hind legs into his cone... Has anyone else had this experience or anything similar? Looking for some help for our poor lovebug :(

***I'll insert pictures, but just a warning as they are graphic...*** The last picture is from this morning.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, God, that poor baby! I'd be wondering about food allergies, which can cause horrific itching, sometimes (but not generally) very localized. That would be the first thing that comes to mind. I'd also, once food allergies were ruled out, want to consider a neurological consult, just to make sure there wasn't something going on with brain chemistry, etc. These are things that your vet can help you with. If they seem unwilling, consider a second opinion. Should you decide on that course, yell. We have some good articles about finding the right vet and how to talk with them that I can link for you.

HOWEVER...for now, try brewing a cup of chamomile tea. Yep. Chamomile tea. Use the bags from the grocery store. They're right there in the coffee/tea aisle. Chill the tea in the fridge, then soak a cotton ball in it, and swab on generously. This will even stop the itching from fire ant bites and eczema, so it may give him relief. On the off chance that this may be a nervous condition, you can also administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls per dose, up to 3 doses per day. If he weighs over 12 pounds, you might even up it to 1-3 tablespoonfuls per dose. Administer via syringe, by placing the tip of the syringe between his cheek and gum and SLOWLY injecting a little at a time, giving him time to swallow.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OMG. Poor Iggy. I can't offer anything more than what Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 has already said. Has he been on the z/d long enough yet to determine if that will help? If you are not sure, ask the vet. And, if so, what else can you try in its place?

When you say it'll all clear up and then a month later he's scratching again - is that after you've done the above list of meds each time?

Is there anything in your house that could be causing an allergic reaction? Perhaps something that changed around the time he started to scratch (new carpeting, new furniture, laundry detergent, soaps, perfumes, etc.)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NBennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel so bad for him, but he doesn't seem to let it bother him. He runs around, plays with out other cat and just loves love and attention! He just turned a year old in July, and weighs a little over 14lbs and has strictly been kept indoors. He has a long life ahead of him so we want to make him as comfortable as possible!!

We "think" we have narrowed it down to either food allergies or possibly autoimmune skin disease. We are 3 weeks into his 12 week prescription food trial to rule out food allergies before we pay the $$$ to have a skin biopsy...

I've been using coconut oil on his wounds, but I will try the chamomile!! I will literally try anything at this point for some relief. Thank you for the suggestion!!!

NBennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, once the antibiotics and antihistamines have run their course all of his hair comes back and he is "normal" and does not scratch at all for a month (give or take). We'll remove his cone, go to work and come back to a bloody Iggs... We have tile floors and have not done anything/ used anything different. The problem with allergies (IF it's allergies) is that it could literally be anything....

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Were each of the meds tried separately - or all together at once? The reason I ask is because one may be working, and perhaps the others are 'overkill'. Something like an antihistamine, say for example, if it were the one that was working could be a longer term solution - as opposed to steroids. Just a thought...

The only other thing that the vet (is it a vet dermatologist?) could try would be a treatment specific for auto immune skin diseases, and see if that works?? If it did, would that be something the vet would say could rule out food allergies?

I guess you've got to endure the food allergy test first (ugh), to get beyond that.
Glad to hear that Iggy isn't (so far) being as badly affected by all of this, as you are! Hang in there!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hills Z/D is chicken based, hydrolyzed but may still cause a issue in super sensitive cats. Maybe you can give a novel protein a try, something like rabbit or even kangaroo. Try a commercial limited ingredient food, canned preferred over dry:

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Natural Balance LID
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food
Single Novel Protein Grain Free Wet (not Raw) Food? Help!
Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food
Recs For Low-carb, Grain-free Pork Without Chicken Or Fish?
Canned - Pure Vita - Natural Holistic Pet Foods
NutriSource Pet Foods

Any food trial has to be done for at least 13 weeks, sometimes longer, and you can't feed anything else during the trial.

Per My Vet: How Long For Food Allergies Test

More info on food allergies / sensitivities:

Article on Feline Cutaneous Adverse Food Reactions (aka food allergies) and treatment

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 knows as much about cat diets as anyone I know!

The other things I just thought of...have you tried the claw caps? As much as he scratches, I don't know how well they would stay on, but they MIGHT help a bit.

NBennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 We are on week 3 of our food trial on the Hills z/d. If that doesn't seem to help we will definitely try something different. I was recommended to try venison by a vet tech friend of mine.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I was just talking to my husband about those last night! We are going to give them a try. I was also thinking of putting little booties on him in hopes to stop the scratching...

NBennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess my hopes in this thread was to see if anyone else has experienced this with their fur baby.

We're trying the food first before we put him through the stress of a biopsy and allergy testing.

NBennett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For now, we will be keeping the cone on, putting caps on his nails and trying the chamomile. Fingers crossed :)

Edelw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi NBennett, My cat looked the same last summer. I'd never dealt with something like that. We thought a mosquito bite started it, then the stress of it continued it. I dabbed colloidal silver 30ppm on it several times a day (as much as I could) and it helped quite a bit. Stress can be a huge component. Our dog (his buddy) was sick at the time. Our cat stopped drinking his fountain water. We had to give him fluids for two weeks, then finally it all calmed down. I was thinking it could have been his water wasn't 'right' and he stressed out about it. I cleaned the fountain with hydrogen peroxide along with the hottest water more, 2 x week instead of one.
I would look into feeding raw. That usually clears up alot of things.
I'm sure you'll figure it out. Cats take us on interesting journeys. How is the household? Peaceful or always moving?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check our articles on feeding...there are some GOOD ones there! NEVER go raw until after you have done some research. Done properly, it can save a cat's life. Done improperly, it can take it. We have LOTS of experienced raw-feeders here who can help you, should you decide to do that. There are advantages to it, real ones. Especially with a cat who has food allergies...you know EXACTLY what they are getting!

Good luck with the booties! Let me know how that turns out. If he's very mellow, you may just pull it off. If not, he will pull them off!

tofuandnoomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, N NBennett

I am here asking for your help, has Iggy stopped scratching his head, my cat is suffering from the same symptoms and I am unable to make him feel better, hopefully, Iggy is better now and you can provide me with some tips! I look forward to your reply! Thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Concerned Cat Parents

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had the same symptom. Thought ear mites but turned as yeast in the ears. Also same intense scratching. Vet prescribed Dermotic which she did not adapylt well to. Another vet prescribed Aurizon which she tolerated. Mine was on raw chicken and chicken dry so switched to beef kibbles and beef can food. Suspect chicken allergy. Surprising as she has been with chicken raw diet her since kitten with previous owner. She still has yeast and scratches but minimal. Problem it's hard to find beef alone can food as some will have meat by products which could be poultry. After a while will be switching to dry limited ingredient food. Mine very choosy as I adopted an adult cat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site T tofuandnoomi . The OP has not been around for almost two years, so probably will not answer you. What has the vet tried so far?