Scrappy update: He survived surgery and still loves me!

mokeman3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Scrappy survived his surgery, is home now, and is recovering well. Both of his lower fang teeth that were broken off in his abandoned, and abused past have been dug out of his jaw bone and are now gone. The doctor cut open the abscess that broke open twice and cleaned it all out and sewed him back up. He appeared to be VERY happy to be back home, and I'm hoping he won't be in too much pain tomorrow morning when the pain medication wears off. His stitches will have to be taken out in 14 days from now.

All the doctors (and assistants) could say when I picked him up was: "what a personality" this cat has - they loved him. They said that when he came too he was all purring, and "rubby" all over them.

The doctor said that the infection was VERY bad, and his gums/jaw was all full of puss and infection, and kept saying that he is going to be a VERY happy cat now.

He's sleeping now, but was pretty disoreinted when I got him home but extremely happy to see me, and rub on me. They didn't give me any pain pills, so I hope he won't be in too much pain tomorrow morning when the pain medicine wears off. Here are some pics of the big ole purring/rubbing lug (with the first pic being how I found him when I came home from work last Thursday) :

Thank you everyone in this forum for helping me, and providing moral support.

MM3

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome!! I am surprised tho that they didn't give you any pain meds for him post-op... if you think he needs them... and cats are good at hiding pain... don't hesitate to insist on some.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That poor cat.
I hop he feels better.
They should have given him pain meds.
My Wrinkles was altered yesterday and got 5 days worth of pain meds.
They are Buprenex.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokeman3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Awesome!! I am surprised tho that they didn't give you any pain meds for him post-op... if you think he needs them... and cats are good at hiding pain... don't hesitate to insist on some.
Yeah, - a few people that I've talked to know said the same thing. I'm a little concerned now too that they didn't give him anything for me to take home.

The doctor kept saying on the phone (when he called me at work after the surgery) that he's going to feel SO much better based on what he found in his mouth (infection wise), that he shouldn't need any pain meds. So I dunno.

So how can I tell if he needs pain meds tomorrow morning when he wakes up?

MM3

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a brave and beautiful cat! I'm glad he's gotten the help he obviously needed from someone like you who really cared.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww....Scrappy is so beautiful and happy! He Chose well! I agree that a few doses of buprenex should have been given.

Buprenex comes in premeasured needleless syringes, and you squirt it onto the cats gums, not down the throat.

I'll be watching for more good news on Scrappy as he heals and settles in.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little darling! You are truly an angel for taking him in and seeing that he got the care he so desperately needed.
for a quick and pain free recovery.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for loving this guy and taking care of him. So glad the doctor was able to pull his teeth, clean up the infection, and take care of the abscess. I can't imagine what kind of pain your boy has been in. He can't help but feel better!

I would keep a close eye on the teeth and the abscess area. If you notice any redness or swelling be sure to call the vet immediately. If you notice a hesitancy to eat, I'd call and see about some pain meds. Also, if you don't already, feed him canned food that's a pate style so he doesn't have to crunch the kibbles or chew the little pieces of wet food.

Keep us updated on his progress, too!

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good for Scrappy and u as well for taking great care of him
....one question I have is ..anytime my cats got treated for an abscess they left the wound open with a drainage tube ..wonder why they stitched his up ?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a gorgeous boy - and how lucky to have found you.

Once I had an absessed tooth - I've got to say that after it was treated, I felt so much better I didn't need pain meds either, since the absess itself was so painful. And believe me, I'm the kind of person who definitely wants all the pain relief legally available for any medical/dental procedure.

Having said that, I'm sure your vet said to call if you think you'll need a prescription.

But good luck, and best wishes for quick return to full health.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww Scrappy, what a brave and beautiful chap. I am so glad the surgery went well. I can understand the vet saying that he will be in alot less pain now but I agree he should have some pain relief if he needs it. Please keep us posted on his recovery.xx