Scouted many forums, not sure what the answer is...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lhystory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for following up!

Indeed, after a nearly two week stint on EVO food, I was able to stabilize both Mars and Juno, with no incident of throw up or regurgitation. During this time I also started introducing some chunked rabbit to their diet and they seem fine.

I ordered some ground chicken mix, along with turkey hearts and livers, hoping to make this next new batch more successful. Anyone have any problems with the catnutrition.org recipe? In terms of allergies?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad to hear things are going well and they are "stabilized" and actually back to being able to tolerate some raw again. 

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the catinfo.org recipe, which is pretty close to catnutrition.org. You can see a list of the differences (no glandular supplement or psyllium husk) here:

http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood#The_Ingredients

I have not had any problems with allergies. My kitten was started on Royal Canin dry kitten food. I switched him to the catinfo recipe as soon as I brought him home, at eight weeks. The only problem is that he doesn't do well with commercial canned anymore. I tried it a couple of times, just to get him accustomed to it in case I am no longer able to make food at home. He invariably gets diarrhea, which is more awful than usual with a long-haired cat.

I started adding lysine within the first week, as his vet suspects feline herpes. After an unpleasant reaction to cat food from Whole Foods, I added pumpkin and a probiotic. It worked so well on  the diarrhea that I now add them regularly.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of anyone using the whole carcass either, but I commend you for going all out! 

I hope I don't have any issues with the Hare Today boneless ground rabbit. I am trying to give this to my Sebastian.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Seems like I spoke too soon. We might have a chicken allergy.

Thank you for following up!

Indeed, after a nearly two week stint on EVO food, I was able to stabilize both Mars and Juno, with no incident of throw up or regurgitation. During this time I also started introducing some chunked rabbit to their diet and they seem fine.

I ordered some ground chicken mix, along with turkey hearts and livers, hoping to make this next new batch more successful. Anyone have any problems with the catnutrition.org recipe? In terms of allergies?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
silverpersian:  You might want to start up a thread of your own to discuss this possible allergy
  Since you mentioned you occasionally feed canned too, let us know what's happening and when.

harrylime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just read this thread for the first time... didn't realize I was mentioned in it (is the site supposed to alert me if someone tags me?) 

To clear everything up... in the end I don't think there was any issue in the meat from hare-today.com at all. For those who didn't read my other thread, Tamago stopped eating while I was away for 10 days. My girlfriend was taking care of her, but she stopped eating very much about halfway through my trip. I came back and brought her to the vet who ran some tests, and everything was fine. Eventually she started eating again, and more than ever. I think she was just stressed out that I was away from home... which is extremely annoying, because I have to travel a good amount.

Also I was curious... what exactly does egg do in a raw diet? I've never added any egg or probiotics to my recipe. Should I be? I'd say everything is going pretty perfectly with Tamago except for the fact that she doesn't poop very much. Definitely not everyday. She's not straining or meowing or anything either, I wouldn't even know there was a 'problem' except for the fact that I don't see her poop building up in her automatic litter.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eggs are very nutritious. Lots of vitamins, including some hard-to-find ones like selenium and manganese, healthy fats, the yolks can prevent hairballs, it's one of the few food sources of choline. . .and so on. You won't ever go wrong adding eggs to your cat's diet.

Probiotics are useful for maintaing proper gut flora (in humans and animals), and the health of your gut affects a lot of your body's workings. They're not strictly necessary if your cat doesn't have tummy trouble but are never a bad thing :D.

Last edited:

burm guy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can really sympathize with you on the vomming. Also had the same problem when I started feeding my babies raw. Egg is great by the way - amazing amount of high quality protein and nutrients (some kitties do not handle raw egg well, and need it lightly cooked instead.). Back to your vomming problem - after discussing this with my vet to find a solution for my own guys, here is what I learned:

1) Vomming can be from hairball - especially if your cat is detoxing from the raw and losing more hair than usual. Keep up the grooming every few days.

2) Their stomach becomes more acidic on a raw diet. Acid can irritate the stomach - meaning they will vomit almost immediately after eating. If you have a cat who wakes up and is crying for food (and feeding time is still an hour away), the acid can build up as the cat salivates, meaning that by the time you feed the little guys, there is a LOT of acid in the stomach. When this meets the raw food, you get your projectile vomming.

3) Lacking in digestive enzymes - add a little bit of digestive enzymes to their raw food (1/8 to 1/4 of human dosage - using an excellent quality brand, of course.).

The raw-food vomming happened with both my cats. At first they were going great, loving their food, hitting the detox, and then suddenly after eating their food, they would projectile vomit on the floor (the meat is all organic, btw - better than what I eat). My solution - 30 mins before the meal, I give them a snack of their organic grain-free kibble (5g each). Then they get their raw 30 minutes later. No more vomming since (ps, my boy has always had a sensitive stomach, and this solution really helped him). The kibble serves to settle the stomach and they haven't had a problem since.

Another option would be to space out the meals so that there is not a long period between meals, feeding at 7:00, 18:00, and a small meal late at night, perhaps 22:00. Good luck - I really can relate because you want the best for your babies, invest so much time in making the food and buying the supplements, and then things suddenly fall apart. Hopefully these raw tips can get you back on track!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just read this thread for the first time... didn't realize I was mentioned in it (is the site supposed to alert me if someone tags me?) 

To clear everything up... in the end I don't think there was any issue in the meat from hare-today.com at all. For those who didn't read my other thread, Tamago stopped eating while I was away for 10 days. My girlfriend was taking care of her, but she stopped eating very much about halfway through my trip. I came back and brought her to the vet who ran some tests, and everything was fine. Eventually she started eating again, and more than ever. I think she was just stressed out that I was away from home... which is extremely annoying, because I have to travel a good amount.

Also I was curious... what exactly does egg do in a raw diet? I've never added any egg or probiotics to my recipe. Should I be? I'd say everything is going pretty perfectly with Tamago except for the fact that she doesn't poop very much. Definitely not everyday. She's not straining or meowing or anything either, I wouldn't even know there was a 'problem' except for the fact that I don't see her poop building up in her automatic litter.
Thanks for clarifying that the problem wasn't with Hare Today rabbit. Poor Tamago gets stressed when you're away! Cute that she loves you so much, yes, but an issue if you travel a lot.
You won't ever go wrong adding eggs to your cat's diet.
Unless the eggs are bad or the cat is allergic to eggs or they have an intolerance to raw egg. I recently had an issue with feeding raw to one of mine and the first suggestion was to remove the raw egg. Haven't tried the new recipe, yet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless the eggs are bad or the cat is allergic to eggs or they have an intolerance to raw egg. I recently had an issue with feeding raw to one of mine and the first suggestion was to remove the raw egg. Haven't tried the new recipe, yet.
Well, certainly. But under normal circumstances ;).