Scourge of ovarian cancer

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My friend Linda who had battled bad pneumonia and just didn't seem to be bouncing back just got wholloped!! Ovarian cancer. Don't know what stage. This is terrible! She was laid off and couldn't afford the COBRA health insurance payments.

Then the pneumonia hit in December with a week-long hospital stay.

This is NEVER, EVER good news.... by the time ovarian cancer is discovered it it usually stage 3 or worse.

If she beats the disease she will be buried under a MOUNTAIN of debt. W/o health coverage - I don't know what she and her boyfriend are going to do.

She is 59 years old.

Some vibes would be lovely right about now.

ETA: I guess I am getting to that age where these things are going to transpire. First my friend Bev in August, 2007, then my neighbor in 09, now THIS.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My aunt, Diane, died of Ovarian Cancer in August 2000. It is an ugly disease that has no cure. She battled for 3 years. She was 52.

My thoughts are with you and her...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sending lots of prayers and vibes that way for her to stay strong and do well with treatment!!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have her contact the hospital charity department. Sometimes they will help with the bills if she show lack of income.

Sending vibes for her

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry for her. It's a nasty disease. Hospital charity is a good idea. I hope they can find some assistance. Sending lots of vibes for her. And some (((hugs))) for you, too.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your friend. Do you know we all moan about the NHS over here but we really don't know just how lucky we are. xx

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. As SwampWitch said, having to worry about the financial issue, on top of battling the cancer is not good.

Checking with the hospital is a good idea. Does she live in Michigan as well? She should definitely ask about state Medicaid. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008, I had no insurance, and there was a nurse case manager who immediately took over and asked me to bring proof of income, and all the financial info I could and she got me Medicaid from NY within 5 days.

All your friend has to do is ask her doctor. She needs to get it taken care of right away. She's going to need her heart and mind free of the financial issue so that she has the strength for the battle she has before her.

All the best to her. My heart goes out to her and I'm sending tons of

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a spot of brightness in 1983 my mom was diagnosed with stage III ovarian cancer.
She will be turning 81 this June.

Just because its stage III doesn't mean she will not survive. Treatments have improved since my mom went though chemo and surgery. She went for surgery at Mayo Clinic in Rochester,MN which was the place to go in the midwest and had chemo locally in her hometown. She continued making trips also for checkups to Mayo Clinic.
It was a trying time but she, since then has been in a follow up group through some hospital in the Boston area (name doesn't come to me at the moment).

If she needs someone to talk to I can have my mom do so.