Scotty fell of the Balcony!!

jelani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh k my Cat Scotty loves to lye down near the absolute edge on the top floor..Today he fell!! He didnt seem harmed...Should I keep him away from the edge my squirting him?
Do you think hes in any pain? The floor was carpet...

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you see him fall? Did he land on his feet? If he landed on his feet, he's probably all right. Just watching for limping. Watch for any behavior changes that would indicate pain from internal injuries. I think just basically watch him to see if he's his normal self. If in any doubt, consult a vet.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buy a large cat condo and place it so that the cat has a way to safely get down off the balcony without falling. Don't squirt him with water, but find a way to make him safe- perhaps put up a fisherman's net and decorate it with shells etc to keep him off the balcony edge

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Squirting water won't stop him from climbing and napping on high places. Like hissy said, make it safe.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. My baby fell today too. I was trying to medicate Jinx and he ran nails out over my shoulder and fell on his side on the marble floor. I am watching him closely. I agree with Hissy making it safe for him laying on the balcony.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jelani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
but sqiurting him is so fun because I can get him to do anything

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jelani

but sqiurting him is so fun because I can get him to do anything
It might look funny to you watching him jump when you squirt him but it is most likely BOTHERING/SCARING him-possible terrorize him?

It can lead to behavior problems such as hiding, changes in behavior, avoiding you (he can associate the water squirting with you), having ear problems (if water get into ears, it causes some health problems from what I've heard), etc.

I would STRONGLY encourage you to do POSITIVE reinforcement instead of squirting him with water.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I agree with Pamela. Squirting a cat because it's funny?

(I'm hoping the comment was made in jest)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jelani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone does it

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jelani

Everyone does it
You mean everyone does the squirting thing with this cat or you mean everyone does it with their cats?

If you mean everyone does this with your cat, then please tell them to STOP unless you want her feeling terrorized? How would you like it if out of the blue, people start squirting water at you for no reasons- while you're sleeping, relaxing or eating? Most cats doesn't like water on them and that makes it worse. I know if that was me, I'd become frustrated and terrorized.

If you mean everyone squirts water at their cats, then you'll be surprised at how many people on this forum DOES NOT do this..
Many of us do not support the squirting based on what we have seen (research, experiences of others, etc).

There are many other ways to amuse yourself with your cat that does not involve squirting her with water... I often laugh myself silly watching them chase a ball I throw, watching them chase the laser toy I wave on the walls, or chasing the feather teasers... These are a lot more safer AND CATS ENJOYS these....

To be honest, when I got my first cat many years ago, I squirted him to disencourage him from scratching furniture-thought that was better than screaming, physical punishment (which I WOULD NEVER DO), etc. However after some wise friends on this board advised me against using the squirt bottle as a behavior modification tool, I started reading more about positive discipline, various ways to play with cats, etc and I realized that squirting is not a good idea - especially if you do it in jest....

Hope this helps?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jelani - maybe we misunderstood your remark. It sounded like you squirted your cat because it was a funny thing to do. That is to say, you squirted your cat for your own entertainment. This would NOT be an appropriate thing to do. To cause distress to an animal, or a human being for that matter, for one's own entertainment.

Perhaps the references here and elsewhere to the use of the squirt bottle were misunderstood. Some people use a squirt bottle as a behavior modification tool. I myself think it's an ineffective device and don't do it. Furthermore, there's the risk of alienating the cat against the person who does the squirting. But some people do claim it works for them, and I'm not going to dispute that.

However, in the context of behavior modification, it's used only for the welfare of the cat, in order to deter some undesired behavior, NOT for the amusement of the person doing the squirting. I'm sorry if your comment was misunderstood, I just wanted to make clear the appropriate use of the squirt bottle to any one who reads this thread.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

jelani - maybe we misunderstood your remark. It sounded like you squirted your cat because it was a funny thing to do. That is to say, you squirted your cat for your own entertainment. This would NOT be an appropriate thing to do. To cause distress to an animal, or a human being for that matter, for one's own entertainment.

Perhaps the references here and elsewhere to the use of the squirt bottle were misunderstood. Some people use a squirt bottle as a behavior modification tool. I myself think it's an ineffective device and don't do it. Furthermore, there's the risk of alienating the cat against the person who does the squirting. But some people do claim it works for them, and I'm not going to dispute that.

However, in the context of behavior modification, it's used only for the welfare of the cat, in order to deter some undesired behavior, NOT for the amusement of the person doing the squirting. I'm sorry if your comment was misunderstood, I just wanted to make clear the appropriate use of the squirt bottle to any one who reads this thread.
Thank you for clarifying that.. Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my previous post so Tim, thanks for clarifying that about squirt bottle as behavior modification tool. I agree that it's an effective device and can alienate the cat against the person doing the squirting. Luckily, I didn't do it very much and it was only for a SHORT time until I found out about positive behavior modification tools which I use instead.