Science Diet Opinion?

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GotPersian

Thanks for all your responses... most of you had cooler heads than I! I just hate when someone tries to take me for a ride. BTW my vet doesn't "recommend" or "push" SD but he does have a huge shelf with sample bags of all the different types. We now feed Nutro Nature's best and Max and all four kitties love it.
Could this be why my kitten has diharrea (or however it is spelled)?
LOL

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan

Could this be why my kitten has diharrea (or however it is spelled)?
LOL
It may be... talk to your vet... has the kitty been dewormed?? switch foods recently??

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It may be... talk to your vet... has the kitty been dewormed?? switch foods recently??
Well i bought him 2 weeks ago from a pet store (big mistake). The next day he had blood and mucus in his poop. After some testing we found he had coccidia. He is on an antibiotic called ALBON. He only gets .25cc 2xs a day. So it could take 2 more weeks or so to finish it.
The pet store said he had his first shots and worming. My vet did another worming just incase and also gave him his FVRCP shot. He still has an itty bitty amount of blood in his stool but it is ALOT LESS. But he still has loose stool.
I thought maybe it might be the Science Diet food after I read this thread. I am scared to keep changing his food though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan

Well i bought him 2 weeks ago from a pet store (big mistake). The next day he had blood and mucus in his poop. After some testing we found he had coccidia. He is on an antibiotic called ALBON. He only gets .25cc 2xs a day. So it could take 2 more weeks or so to finish it.
The pet store said he had his first shots and worming. My vet did another worming just incase and also gave him his FVRCP shot. He still has an itty bitty amount of blood in his stool but it is ALOT LESS. But he still has loose stool.
I thought maybe it might be the Science Diet food after I read this thread. I am scared to keep changing his food though.

If you decide to change foods do it over a 7-10 days period

bossphio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 4 years old and suffers from UTdisease. He forms crystals and can not urinate. The vet I have been taking him to, I feel, has tried to take me for a ride. I had him to the vet for this one time before, I knew what I was up against. But she wanted to keep him day after day, saying he wouldn't eat (the HIll's S/D stuff). He wouldn't eat it the first time around and I told her that, so I purchased him the Purina non-script stuff and he loved it. So, knowing that he didn't like it and wouldn't eat it, she kept putting fluids in him and charging me for all of this. This bill was outrageous and I told her that! She didn't want to 'release him' until he started eating better and sent me home with 1/2 a case of this stuff that he doesn't like, but insisted that the crystals would return if I did not comply to feed this to him. What's the deal? Isn't there something else that is sufficient, less expensive hopefully, and stuff that he'll like? I think she seen a sucker coming and tried to suck me dry honestly! When I went to pick him up he was running around fine! And she insisted on the phone that he wasn't doing well and needed to stay longer! What's the deal? Someone tell me I'm not crazy!

3cathouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another option for maintenance that I used for a while is Eagle Pack wet food and Solid Gold Berry Balance mixed in. It changes the Ph level of the urine. If you go this route I would have your kitty's uring Ph tested periodically.. we actually had it work "too well" and the Ph went too far in the other direction.

Also make sure you mix in as much water into your kitty's food as he will tollerate. Keeping them well hydrated helps flush out the kidneys and stay healthy.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...id=25&code=509

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow!!! This is a long thread!!! I've called Science Diet in the past and ask them why their food is superior and they've never given me a better reason than their standard lines such as "More vets feed their pet Science Diet than any other pet food" and they would point to the nutrient analysis and nutrient versus ingredients theory as if to point out that any ingredient is exactly the same as another as long as it matches the nutrient analysis profile required for dogs and cats. Not very impressive and for a company that markets their food so aggressively I think it's pathetic that they can't convince people well enough that their food is the best. Even Iams whom many people here don't think is good does a better job than Science Diet. They at least have a whole library on their site.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mark Morris did some terrific work in feline nutrition and physiology, way back when.

He founded SD. His work continues to be meaningful.

If you look on the SD website, if you look under EMPLOYMENT, you will find out the parent company is Colgate-Palmolive ... (Iams is Procter and Gamble, BTW).

They were bought out sometime in the 80's and reformulated the food using less-expensive ingredients.

Sometime BEFORE the buyout, Vets began selling the stuff. It was marketed to them under the pharmaceutical model ... not unlike how the drug-rep system works.

I used the old stuff. The new stuff even SMELLS different.

It makes me sad to se what has become of this and other companies.