Science Diet food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, thats what I thought! I looked up the meds they sent up, and it is used to treat several things in dogs and cats, one of which was coccidosis, so I'm guessing that was it! Shes eating her wet food right now!
Yippy! Hope she'll keep it up!

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
menagerie mama, Thanks for the concern! I can't take her temp, but my bf said the vet took it today. (You might have missed the post that said she got taken in to get checked.) I didn't ask if she had a temp, but the vet said it was probably Coccidia/Coccidosis and sent home Albon for me to give her. I made another post asking this, but since noone answered I'll ask again here. She just started the Albon this morning at the vet. How long before the diarrhea should stop? Shes still had it several times since the vet visit, but I figured it would take maybe til her 2nd dose tomorrow for it to really kick in. I would love to hear from someone who had this problem, and hear how quickly the diarrhea subsided.

Ashley

kkmauss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ashley,

Good vibes for Marlee --- I know from experience how difficult it can sometimes be to get a kitten with digestive ills straightened out, but they do bounce back really well.

On the long term, I would avoid Science Diet like the plague. When I was much younger and dumber, I fed that to my cats thinking I was doing a good thing and ended up with kidney failure, diabetes, etc.

Royal Canin makes an excellent quality dry food, and so does Wellness. They are a bit more expensive up front, and you may have to look around a little to find a dealer, but in the long run, they are worth it. I especially like Royal Canin's kitten food. Just be careful when switching foods and always do it gradually, esp. if your baby has already been having digestive problems.

HOpe that helps!

Karen

pollycharlie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard a rumor (don't know if it's true, but sounds reasonable to me) that science diet has huge scholarships for vet schools. In return the graduate vets agree to display science diet in their office. That's why you see so many vet offices have science diet foods in their offices versus other brands.

And the "vet recommended" sloagan is always tricky. Any brand, if they want to put "vet recommended" on their bag, all they have to do is have ONE vet "recommend" that brand. It's like in movies where they always advertise "critics say it's the best movie". Oh well...

But really look into the ingredients of the food. Yellow corn is not the best, chicken (or any meat) by-products are not the best... What's on the ingridient list is very heavily regulated, so that can be a reliable source.

stattess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to strongly agree with what seems to be the more common sentiment in regards to Science Diet. I had my boys who were all overweight on it many years back. Not knowing a thing about nutrition or a cats needs, I thought I was doing the best thing by feeding it (used RD and was encouraged to switch to WD). My wallet sure thought that I was doing a good thing too...

My eldest developed diabetes a few years ago. I don't know that it was directly related to the food and another dry food could have had the same effects on my boy (too many carbs for him), but when I switched him to a better quality lower carb food... his diabetes disappeared. He no longer required the insulin or the ear testing (but on occasion).

Friends that I met along the way equate Science Diet to sawdust for cats. Since we stopped using it, Ernie's diabetes has gone... Teddy's chin and face rashes are gone... and I'm paying less money for higher quality food.

Switch slow enough not to upset tummy but do switch if your baby will accept something else.

Kind regards and I hope things are feeling better for your sweetie soon!

Stacy

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marlee is finally doing better today! Yeah! She started drinking water on her own last night, and finally has had two poops that weren't diarrhea! I am so so so happy! I will definately take the advice to keep away from Science Diet. I'm gonna leave her on it for another week or so, to make sure her stomach is alright, then slowly start her on something else. Til then i'll be looking at the pet store here to find a good one. Thanks again!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

Marlee is finally doing better today! Yeah! She started drinking water on her own last night, and finally has had two poops that weren't diarrhea! I am so so so happy! I will definately take the advice to keep away from Science Diet. I'm gonna leave her on it for another week or so, to make sure her stomach is alright, then slowly start her on something else. Til then i'll be looking at the pet store here to find a good one. Thanks again!
Good luck! And I certainly agree with the advice you've gotten. My older kit didn't do well on SD at all (which I can esepcially see now that he's on a super-premium...his coat, his problems with being overweight, his stomach issues, his tendency to sneeze and eye-goop at the slightest bit of stress...all have been eradicated). You're such a good mommy to consider these things!! Much happiness and health in the future to you and your kit!!

One word to the wise, though. If your cat is picky, I had a terrible time getting Leo to accept anything but his science diet for a long time. It's like he was addicted to the stuff! I finally switched to California Natural, which is reccommended for picky eaters. If you need a wet for a picky eater, just yesterday I got Leo to eat his first ever can of wet food and it was Evanger's Holistic Pheasant Dinner for Cats. It can be tricky to find, but you can order it drectly from them at http://www.evangersdogfood.com and they charge a flat shipping rate

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

If you need a wet for a picky eater, just yesterday I got Leo to eat his first ever can of wet food and it was Evanger's Holistic Pheasant Dinner for Cats. It can be tricky to find, but you can order it drectly from them at http://www.evangersdogfood.com and they charge a flat shipping rate
I've been quite intrigued with Evangers as I checked out their ingredients recently, glad to hear it's actually palatable (per the cat, of course
)

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I've been quite intrigued with Evangers as I checked out their ingredients recently, glad to hear it's actually palatable (per the cat, of course
)
If Leo likes it, it's probably the kitty equivalent of gourmet. The ingredients check out and it was actually reccommended to me by this woman who now owns and runs a pet store/pet wellness resource center down the street from me. She used to manage the Chicago Emergency Vet Clinic on the north side, so I trust her judgement.

If you ever want to try it, do so. The other thing I like about it is that it doesn't congeal the way other foods do. It stays sort of pastey (you know, the cat food consistency, however you would describe that), so I think it retains more of its 'just opened the can' texture and flavor.