Scheduling Feeding Times

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she has forgiven him but would much rather have him ignore her completely haha. I wish I could explain to her that he's just a little boy that wants to play.. But wouldn't that just make everything too simple? ;P
That is how I ended up with 4 cats instead of 1.

If he is just a bundle of irritating energy and you can't keep him from pestering her you could always consider cat#3 ;)  Or fostering! For 4 years I had quite the parade of fostered kittens through my house until one finally failed because she bonded so closely with big male, Jasio.  The kittens kept him so entertained he hardly had time to bug my old fart cats.  These days Jasio, The Niblet and our newest addition, Hector, keep each other so entertained my remaining old fart gets to sit on top of her cat tree and hold court over them.  They leave her totally alone and she pretends they don't exist except to look down on them. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is how I ended up with 4 cats instead of 1.

If he is just a bundle of irritating energy and you can't keep him from pestering her you could always consider cat#3 ;)  Or fostering! For 4 years I had quite the parade of fostered kittens through my house until one finally failed because she bonded so closely with big male, Jasio.  The kittens kept him so entertained he hardly had time to bug my old fart cats.  These days Jasio, The Niblet and our newest addition, Hector, keep each other so entertained my remaining old fart gets to sit on top of her cat tree and hold court over them.  They leave her totally alone and she pretends they don't exist except to look down on them. 
 Well its just in random bursts and they usually happen when we get home. I guess its just part of his routine since (we assume) they slumber when we are gone and he likes to play when we are around. As I'm typing this, Mylo is watching cars driving by while laying on the window sill and Sephie is cleaning herself at the top of the tower. I've been observing their interactions lately and now he runs away more often when she starts to growl or complain at him. Hopefully, he'll get the hang of it soon... 

About fostering.. how does that work? I've been reading other posts mentioning fostering, but I wasn't sure exactly what that refers to. How do you go about doing that? And a failed fostering? So many questions! 

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fostering is done through a local rescue group where you agree to house and care for a cat until it can be adopted. A failed foster is one that you end up keeping. Thats the quick answer.  I'm in a bit of a hurry atm to head to work. Others can explain in more depth.

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fostering is done through a local rescue group where you agree to house and care for a cat until it can be adopted. A failed foster is one that you end up keeping. Thats the quick answer.  I'm in a bit of a hurry atm to head to work. Others can explain in more depth.

Hmm.. so you house train the kitties? Or do you just take care of it for a certain amount of time? I think this is something we might try out once we move into a house. 
 There are a handful of rescue groups around here, but I have never heard of the fostering or met anyone that fosters around here. I'll inquire at the rescue where we got Mylo from. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Sugar and Spice were fostered by my brother for a couple of months. In that time, they had to be taken to the vet - chronic diarrhea - and go through several courses of antibiotics and antiparisiticals. The person fostering pays for all vet bills, even neutering if needed, all the food and toys, and in this case the pre-adoption examination, immunizations, and microchipping.  S&S are the delight of my life, they wrestle like kittens several times a day, and love to snuggle and sleep with me at night.

Fostering can be very satisfying and can save the life of cats and kittens who are sick enough they can't be put in the general population of a shelter.  It is also good for older cats, like my Sheba.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. so you house train the kitties? Or do you just take care of it for a certain amount of time? I think this is something we might try out once we move into a house. 
 There are a handful of rescue groups around here, but I have never heard of the fostering or met anyone that fosters around here. I'll inquire at the rescue where we got Mylo from. 
The needs of each cat being fostered may differ. Some may be ill and need their health needs taken care of prior to being able to be put up for adoption, and since most rescue groups do not have facilities to house cats, fostering is the only way these cats survive. Some may be pregnant and need a home that can help with the birth and then getting both momma and kittens adopted. Some rescue groups pay for all the related costs for spaying/neutering, vaccinations, medications and some will even do microchipping. These are the things you'll need to ask about when you research rescues to foster for. Depends on what you feel you'll be able to handle on your own. Of course all the food, litter, toys, ect are an expense you will have. Also ask to what extent they help with getting the cats adopted. With some, it's all on you, with others they have places you'll be able to bring the cat for adoption events and such. The length of time a cat remains with you is an unknown factor and can be with you for years. Something to consider

Thank you for considering this as something you may like to do. It can be very rewarding and is a badly needed service. Good luck and good

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to update about the change to wet food and scheduling! The scheduling is going pretty good. They definitely got the hang of it within the first week and every time we start getting ready for dinner they sit by the pantry waiting for their food. (cuteness!)

As for the wet food, Sephie gorges on the can! She will eat most of it in one sitting, but she's learning that if she leaves some extra, she will get it later. It is pretty funny watching (and hearing) her eat. It's as if she has never been fed before! She is really enjoying the change to wet food. If you walk too close to her, or if Mylo starts sniffing her can, she will go into what we call "Turkey Mode." She literally sounds like a gobbling turkey! It's kinda funny, but we are watching our distance when she eats just in case she gets too defensive of her food. 

Mylo at first was sniffing the can for a good minute or two before he realized he could eat it! He then proceeded to lick the top of the food and finally ate the food. He doesn't go "Turkey Mode" on us and usually starts his routine cleaning as soon as his full (which is about 3/4 of a can). 

I'm still leaving some kibble out for them (since we still have some left over) just in case I can't make it back home at lunch time, but they mostly ignore it now as they await their cans. hehe

Thanks again for all the tips!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thats great news!!
Thanks for the update!  It's always a great feeling when we have a success with our furbabies, whatever it may be, huh.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I know this is very late, but did you ever end up purchasing the Meowspace?