Schedule Feeding?

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a very shy 'rescued' cat. She hid for the first 2 weeks, but she's been doing really well recently. My major concern is feeding her. I brought home some of the awful dry food she'd been fed at the shelter, but I offered that along with quality wet food--and she immediately preferred the wet!

The problem is that she will not eat when I prepare the food (and 'announce' meal time), and my concern is leaving wet food out too long. In the morning, I can change the food after a few hours if she hasn't eaten it. But in the late afternoon/evening, she often hasn't touched the food when I go to bed (early), but she will have eaten it in the morning.

Is there any way I can get her to eat 'on schedule'--i.e., at an approximate time. Or should I just give her more time to adjust (she's been here less than a month). I've never had a cat who didn't come immediately when fed, so I have no idea about this.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This article may not sound like it's completely right on, but it may prove to be very helpful for your situation: Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals

BTW, congrats on your new furbaby!

Also, depending on how hot and humid it is where you live, you're probably ok to leave her food our for several hours. If you're at all worried about it, try placing it on an icepak or something like that, and maybe add a little water to it so it doesn't get too dry.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to leave mine out for hours, as my cats were grazers. No one ever got sick. The only reason I stopped doing it is because one is on prescription diet and is not allowed to eat the other food. They do sell wet food dispensers on A that take an icepak. I think you can get them with 4 servings (they have a timer). I have never used one, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that article. It confirmed that I'm doing things right! I try to feed at specific times, and I 'announce' the meals to her. I notice that she usually comes to eat in the morning soon after I put the food down. She seems to like it warmed a little, and I've been doing that recently.

They told me at the shelter to feed her just 2x a day, but because she's eating wet, I think I'll try 3x--morning, afternoon (3-4 pm) and bedtime. That's how I've fed my other adult cats.

I've probably blunted her appetite a little by feeding her too many treats (to seduce her from hiding and associate me with treats). Now that she's more comfortable, she's also expecting regular treats, so I need to cut them down.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2 hours is the 'safe' limit for leaving a high moisture, low acid food out at room temperature. Any longer than that and you risk foodborne illness, since it's a great growth medium for bacteria.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a frosty bowl to keep the food cold while it’s out if your cat doesn’t mind eating cold food. They are sold on amazon.

Official FrostyBowlz Shop