Scents/Smells give my cat seziures

PandaManda814

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive had my black short haired cat now for 5 years i got her at 3 months. When i got her she was very very small. I was told she would be small forever!! (SHES SO FRICKEN CUTE GUYS) well anyways. she was always sick. i mean always. she was rescued by a friend she was fund almost dying in a parkinglot and was nursed bak to health by my friend. wel about 3 years back one day she had a seizure. then another, and another, and another. I WAS SO SCARED i didnt know what was happening. so i took her to the er and they diagnosed her with a brain disease and said she was epileptic and needed to be on meds forever. i didnt find peace in this because it was still happening... well fast forward 3 years and a few more er visits. i believe she is allergic to smells, scents, candles, essential oils, etc. any time i have smells in the home she had more frequent seizures brought on from over licking one spot on her bak. at one point i thought it was fleas, it could have been that as well. at some points i believe its her food and im forced to frequently change it. Needless to say im struggling with my mama girl who i love so much she is my child, my baby, my savior. and i just want to save her... anyone experienced this before??? is this common or uncommon. i need some relief. im scared that one day ill come home from work and fond her either dead or stuck on her self (when she seizes she bites herself and sometimes her teeth pierce her and she gets stuck and i have to help her) shes still just a baby.. my baby

Attachments

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's a matter of being allergic, it's an issue of essential oils are toxic to cat. Here is an old thread talking about it

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely what Amethyst said. As long as you suspect that scents maybe the problem whether from toxicity or allergies, just go through your house and get rid of everything with a scent - the oils, candles, perfumes, cleaners, body wash, laundry detergent, all of that stuff. You don't need it. You can find scent free replacements.

For example - instead of cleaners use white vinegar with or without baking soda. This will clean any surface that needs cleaning. So what if you have to scrub a little more? That's nothing.

It is very dangerous to have lit candles around cats at the best of times. Our cats were a year old when we had a candle on the MIDDLE of the dinning room table. We were sitting at the table when one of the cats came flying up over the table, hit the candle, flamed and raced away. Fortunately, he had a clear path and his speed put out the flames, but what if he hadn't had a clear path, what if he crashed into a wall? How much damage would have happened before we got to him?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I have to agree that you need a scent free house. If it is any consolation to you, most manufactured scents contain harmful chemicals. This includes scents in household products, personal care products, and decorative products.

I am not sure from reading your post, but have to say that if she is on any seizure meds now they cannot just be stopped. If you are interested in doing that, the vet has to give you instructions as to how to wean her off.

The self mutilating sounds like hyperesthesia. There is disagreement as to the origin of this, but I believe it is a seizure disorder and therefore might be a part of your cat's condition.
Feline Hyperesthesia – TheCatSite Articles

I have a cat with hyperesthesia and when she enters that state she does not recognize her tail and will begin to self mutilate.

Are Scented Candle Fumes Toxic to Cats? - The Purrington Post
Scents That Are Bad For Cats And Dogs | Is Burning Incense Safe

Lots of articles discuss issues with scents and pets. Do you have an air purifier?

This is where I am on this....if your cat is truly epileptic, she may need meds and not using them might aggravate the problem. Untreated seizures cause further brain damage, for one thing. Was she diagnosed with epilepsy by testing or observation? This is your decision of course as to how to proceed. If her seizures are bad enough, I would worry about the outcome.
Seizures and Epilepsy in Cats

Meanwhile, get rid of everything scented in your house and start from square one. You may find that it is more one thing than another, but that requires a lot of observation.

She is certainly very adorable and lucky to have been rescued by you.