sccaaatt Does it work?

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here had success with the product Scaat? The device that has a motion sensor and sounds an alarm and sprays a non poisonous gas when the cat gets within a meter of the device? Can you still get near your own kitchen counter if you have scatt set up, or are you sprayed too?

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds pretty intense! I prefer to use a water bottle to direct kitties off of the kitchen counter when they're not supposed to be there--Emma once dried to drag off a whole roast chicken, and though adorable, that's not a good thing!
I've never heard of the Scaat and don't know anyone who has one, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. But, it seems like a pretty extreme way to keep kitties off the counter.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think by the description it probably sprays anything and everything!

What a silly device!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest before going to such a drastic measure you email our cat behaviorist Wendy- you can find her column Herding Cats in the Behavior section of the website, not the forums. I know she helped me immensely several times with my cats' and their problems.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's a rather expensive solution for a kitchen countertop deterrent. Yes, it does work deterring the cat. But it will spray when anything moves within the sensor's range. This means you, too. And I don't think it's very reliable. I've bought several and have had a failure rate of one in three, which is unsatisfactory. The warranty was honored, but still.....

And then there are the expensive refills. All in all, I can't recommend it. Try some of the other solutions.