Scary night last night...vibes for my mom please! (kinda long)

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I got home from work around 8:15 and my mom was complaining about being dizzy. She's been like this before, and it wasn't really anything new, so I offered help (she declined and decided to wait it out) and I went to my room to feed Juicy. A few minutes later my dad called me in the living room to help him with her. She tried to get up to run to the bathroom because she knew she was going to be sick, but didn't make it. I tried to hold her up from behind, so we could walk her to the bathroom, but all of a sudden she was dead weight! We laid her down and that was all she wrote--she was unresponsive and basically unconscious, but with her eyes open and VERY dilated. I panicked because I had never seen her that bad before, but my dad assured me that this has happened before and would soon pass.

Well, I only gave it a minute or so before I knew in my heart that truly something was NOT right and I called 911. She began to vomit again, but had no strength or awareness to turn herself to the side so she wouldn't choke. We turned her on her side and she began to get sick. It was so scary because I had to keep making sure her mouth was clear, because she was not clearing it out herself.

So the ambulance came, gave her oxygen and put in an IV and took her to the emergency room. She was out for a while, then the doctor finally came in and did tests and, to make an even longer story short, he thinks she has what is called "Meniere's Disease". If you don't know what that is, in short there is something wrong in the inner ear, where the equilibrium is, and fluid is not draining properly and pushes on part of the brain and throws the balance of the body off. With this comes "vertigo" which is an extreme case of dizziness and imbalance and for however long it lasts it leaves you basically helpless. It's more complicated than this, but that's how I would describe it.

This was the scariest thing that's happened to her since our bad car accident in '99. Bless her heart, just about all signs point to this disease, and they say it only worsens as time goes on and many people eventually go deaf.

I apologize for making this so long, but it really scared me alot.

She is fine today, a little worn out...but who know's when it will happen again. If anyone's interested in reading more about it, here's a good website http://www.menieresinfo.com/

Sorry again for writing so much. If you could, please send vibes or prayers her way.

--Lacey

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw Lacey, I'm sorry. I really don't know what to say. I will be praying for you and your family. I'm sorry you guys are going through this.

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Lacey how scarey for you to see your mom like that. Thank goodness you were there to help your dad with her. How are they going to treat your mother? Next time she feels dizzy I'd say better safe than sorry and bring her into the hospital.
You mom is in my prayers. Please keep us updated on what is happening with her.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Lacey! How frightening! I will most certainly say a prayer for your mother! We're all here for you if you need someone to talk to!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lacey,

I went through severe bouts of Vertigo myself I couple of years ago and they tested me for Meniere's Disease. It's like being on a spinning ride that you don't want to be on. I never passed out though. I feel for her. From what I understand, it really isn't life threatening, but disables some people who have constant vertigo because obviously you cannot function to do things when you are on an amusement ride you cannot get off from. I hope that these attacks do not come often for her.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear Lacey, I am so sorry that your mother has to deal with these problems, I imagine it is really stressful for all of you!! Keeping you guys in my thoughts...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!
I really appreciate it. I'm not sure yet how they are going to treat her, but I do know that there is no cure for it and that it will progressively worsen as she gets older.

Thanks again everyone!

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

... From what I understand, it really isn't life threatening, but disables some people who have constant vertigo because obviously you cannot function to do things when you are on an amusement ride you cannot get off from. I hope that these attacks do not come often for her.
Thanks, I sure hope they don't come often either, because it was SOOOO scary!!! With many people, they become depressed with it, and stay indoors in fear that an attack may come while in public or driving...and many people opt to give up driving so they do not put themselves or others in danger.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Lacey honey, how scary. You were so brave, what a great job you did of taking care of your mother! I will definitely send vibes for your mom and your family... please keep us updated on how she's doing!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's true, Lacey, I had a couple of attacks while driving myself. It is a real concern. Mine hit like a flash of lightening but I had always been in a spot where I could pull over and let it pass. I hope it doesn't get that bad for her.

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

That's true, Lacey, I had a couple of attacks while driving myself. It is a real concern. Mine hit like a flash of lightening but I had always been in a spot where I could pull over and let it pass. I hope it doesn't get that bad for her.
That is what makes it so scary--how quickly it hits! One minute she was standing up after she got sick, apologizing to us for it (she had no reason to be sorry, she's done much more to take care of me through the years
) and like 1 to 2 minutes later she was collapsing in my arms and on the floor defenseless and unable to respond. Way too scary...

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so frightening, Lacey and I'm glad she's on the upswing a bit. I remember how terrifying I felt in January when I had that spell of vertigo while driving and almost got in a head-on crash. Hugs for you and your mom.

cazx01

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww that must have been errible for you to see
, at least she know's you are there for her

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

That's so frightening, Lacey and I'm glad she's on the upswing a bit. I remember how terrifying I felt in January when I had that spell of vertigo while driving and almost got in a head-on crash. Hugs for you and your mom.
Wow, Elizabeth, that's so scary! I'm sorry you had to experience that! Thank God the accident was avoided, though!!!

I pray that never happens to my mom, or anyone else for that matter.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww lacey im so sorry this has happened

Ive seen my mother being sick and helpless due to overload of alcohol in her body. (which is ofcourse totally different)

Incase if she does get deaf, it might be a good idea to start learning sign language? I mean she wont really need it unless she is able to lipread

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How scary, Lacey! I'm so sorry your Mom has been diagnosed with this. The feeling of vertigo is just so awful as are the symtoms that often accompany this. I will definitely be praying for your Mom that this episode will promptly pass and she will feel better very soon!

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your offers of vibes and prayers, everyone! I know I can always count on all of you!
Bless you all!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness she wasn't alone when this happens. Is there some type of medication she can take or things she change change in her lifestyle to minimize symptons??