Scaredy cat.

dancemuse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elizwithcat--how old is your cat? Is he fixed? How long have you had him? Where did you get him? I didn't quite understand the living situation. Is he the only cat in your household? How many other people live in your household? What kind of place do you live in (house, apartment, city, country)?

The answers to all of these questions would help me think of some suggestions for your cat. (What is his name?) I have had a "scaredy cat" for about four months now, and she is doing so much better, so I have some ideas if you can give me some more information.

When does your cat act scared? You say he's scared of his shadow, but can you elaborate a bit? Is he constantly hiding, or does he seem to get scared when he's surprised?

A couple of things I can say:

1. He's not being bad when he scratches at the carpets. Cats NEED to scratch, and they do it for two reasons. A. To maintain their claws; B. They have glands in their paws that release a scent when they scratch--it's a way of marking territory. That said, it's a drag to have your cat messing up the carpet, so you need to provide an alternate. There are plenty of options at the pet store: carpeted posts, posts wrapped in sisal (rope), sometimes even bare wood. It might take a few tries to figure out what your cat likes, but if you teach him right, he will scratch where it's appropriate. My cats like tall posts wrapped in sisal--another reason they scratch is to stretch, so it needs to be taller than their body length. Other people have found that their cats like cheap doormats (from T@rget or similar)--some cats like vertical scratching, some like horizontal.

2. Our cat Ziv has had to take a lot of medicine since we adopted him. At the worst times, he wouldn't let us touch him because he was afraid it meant we were going to shove another pill down his throat. Try getting a pill gun (ask your vet for one); it makes the process go a lot faster, cutting down on the discomfort for your cat. Also, when you give him his meds, make sure that you're as calm as possible. If you treat it as a cheerful, ordinary task, he won't be able to feed off your anxiety. Try too to give him his pill when he's relaxed as can be. For the duration of the time that you have to medicate him, it will be hard for your cat to trust you, but after it's done, he should start coming around.

hannahj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard that if your cat has a weakness for a certain food--say cheese or peanut butter or something like that, you can put a little dab on a pill and give it to them that way, so its not such a horrible experience for them. I wouldnt know--because my cats will only eat dry food from their bowl--they avoid fish, chicken and any other treat I try to entice them with. But perhaps that would make medication time a little less horrid for your poor scared kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has a lot of scratching posts and condos. I wonder if he is confused because the condos are also carpeted, so, if it's good to scrach on the condo, why not the carpets or rugs?

He is a very sweet cat but he had been a lot of trouble. He got sick a couple of days after I got him and since then it's one thing after another with this kitty. My first cat is an ideal kitty (behavior wise) but this one is a little troublemaker, altough none of this is his fault-he can't help being a sickly kitty. Like when he got FIC he started peeing all over the place-of course it's not his fault but it's not particularly pleasant to have a peed up place. Anyhow, I am dreading to find out what else he is going to come up with. And of course it's pretty sad that he is scared of me and runs off when he sees me coming-he must think I am going to pill him again (which I am, LOL).

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratching the rugs can be a way of marking territory, so maybe they do like the Feliway! It made a big difference in a semi-feral foster cat I had.

I have also heard that pill pockets work to help cats take pills.
http://www.pillpockets.com/index_fs.htm

Don't give up on this guy. I think he is lucky to have found someone as patient as you!

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Scratching the rugs can be a way of marking territory, so maybe they do like the Feliway! It made a big difference in a semi-feral foster cat I had.

I have also heard that pill pockets work to help cats take pills.
http://www.pillpockets.com/index_fs.htm

Don't give up on this guy. I think he is lucky to have found someone as patient as you!
Actually, this cat is driving me bonkers. He is peeing everywhere (he got FIC), he started scratching all the rugs (I am sure it has something to do with his FIC and anxiety as he wasn't doing it before) and he is scared of everything.
Talk about a problem child! I am not sure how much longer I can handle this. I have gotten very good at giving him pills though, if that is any consolation.

dancemuse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're in such a frustrating situation. Can you confine your cat to one room, to minimize the damage he's doing? Narrowing his world a bit might make him a little less stressed. If you can add Feliway, comfy bedding, toys, food, low lights, and soothing music, it might help him get through his rough time. Being sick isn't fun, and since he seems a bit high-strung, everything is probably affecting him more.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DanceMuse

I'm sorry you're in such a frustrating situation. Can you confine your cat to one room, to minimize the damage he's doing? Narrowing his world a bit might make him a little less stressed. If you can add Feliway, comfy bedding, toys, food, low lights, and soothing music, it might help him get through his rough time. Being sick isn't fun, and since he seems a bit high-strung, everything is probably affecting him more.
I don't think I can do it-separating him from my other cat doesn't work. They really love each other and if I lock one up they will be scratching the door trying to get together-I have tried separating them in the past with no lack.

dancemuse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elizwithcat

I don't think I can do it-separating him from my other cat doesn't work. They really love each other and if I lock one up they will be scratching the door trying to get together-I have tried separating them in the past with no lack.
Ok, then can you put them both in the same room? I really think this would at least cut down on the area he can damage right now, which will in turn cut down on your stress, which will probably cut down on his stress...