Scaredy-cat

BellasMumma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My oldest female cat is 4 years old, and I adopted her. I've had her for a year and she is STILL scared of people and does not like anyone holding her. How can I change, if I even can, this behavior?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Find other ways to interact that she will accept. There may be a spot where you are usually quiet like the couch or bed where she will allow petting. I had a former stray cat that would crawl on my chest when I was lying in bed before I could even freely pet her! I've seen two posters that take long baths report the cat would come by the edge of the bath. Which is weird, but cats trust you first where you are quiet and relaxed.

I've got a cat now that prefers to sit behind me. Or on the armrest. If I'm wearing a hoodie, and slouching, on my chest. Anywhere but on my lap. I have a second cat that *is* a lap cat. Can't pick him up though. Some cats just dont ever like it.

Whatever you can do, do that. You can try to associate a call noise with it. A "I'm in the spot and ready to pet you" noise. I like to tap the spot too. You can then use it in other similar spots and gradually expand things.

Worst case, you can probably pet the cat when its tired?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - I agree with A ArtNJ

Also, if you aren't already, you might try Cat Music, there's RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats and spotify and other sources have harp music for cats :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What have you tried? What is your living situation like? My cat peaches,now 9, does not like to be picked up and has her own time when to be patted. Very sociable. It took coco 5 yrs to not hide every time a friend came over