scaredy cat

pegnog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
I just adopted a cat from the SPCA a couple of weeks ago and she's very nervous. She has slept next to me since the first night she came to live with us but she's terrified of my husband. He adores cats(we recently lost our 16 year old cat in August) and he's desperate to have our new cat warm up to him. any tips? She immediately runs away from him as soon as he gets near her if I am also in the room. When I am at work, she allows him to pet her for a few seconds and then runs. I tell him to be patient and that she will come around. We were told that she was abused and shot with a bb gun so we understand that she has a little baggage(who doesn't?! :) )
Anyone else have a stray that was a scaredy cat?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Yep. Our Wendel was with us for a couple of months before we could really touch him. To this day, almost 3 years later, he still has his moments. Our new boy, Random, is still a work in progress.

Treats work well...she'll be more likely to come to him if she knows she might get something. Also, if he doesn't already, have him get down on the floor with her. Cats can be intimidated by people standing at full height - Random will only come to us if we crouch down. Also, when he holds out a hand to pet her, try with a looseky closed hand. Sometimes an open hand can scare them.

Overall, you're right in that it will take time. Its encouraging that she does let him pet her, though. I'm sure she'll warm up in her own time.