Purraise
His fur wasn't like this as an outdoor cat :((

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
His fur is soft tho idk
It's not bristle like

Let me not use the word " coarsd" becsusd thsts not even the proper word to use when distinguishing tye 3types of fur a short hair or long hair cat has and you are equating thst with rough or stiff

The proper term would be" guard " or " awn" hairs,I don't usually use the proper terms becsuse most people don't

Anyway,they are either guard,awn or down the differences are the density and length and their proportions.... some csts are double coated and others are not like your silky types that have an undercoat which needs much maintenance and easily mats

Guard hairs and awn hairs protect the undercoat..... Your kitty appears to have a pronounced guard ......

All thes coats are " soft " to the touch

A cat with underlying heath conditions(& sometimes elderly ) would have a brittle,dull coat and they commonly shed alot

Your cat is not dull n brittle

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
His fur wasn't like this as an outdoor cat :((
I believe I've already given you an explanation for cats acclimating to different environments and conditiojs(like weather,heat,air conditioning etc) The have physical changes that enable them to survive and thrive in various places and with seasonal changes and so on

Bring him to the Vet if you believe there's an issue

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
ImaRobot ImaRobot

Great photo example of a pronounced " guard " and the comparative kitty who has a long silky coat with a fluffy awn - mats easily...... 2 extremely different fur types yet both " soft"

When the awn is not much shorter than the guard it gives such an appearance becausd the guard hairs don't really flatten the awn( good photo)

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ImaRobot ImaRobot

Great photo example of a pronounced " guard " and the comparative kitty who has a long silky coat with a fluffy awn - mats easily...... 2 extremely different fur types yet both " soft"

When the awn is not much shorter than the guard it gives such an appearance becausd the guard hairs don't really flatten the awn( good photo)
I learned something new today!

Surprisingly the long hair doesnt get matted at all, luckily. He's also a cat that does not like getting brushed whatsoever so he manages to keep it up on his own. I still try, much to his dismay hahaha - though I'm gonna guess its because they both constantly clean each other. Thanks btw!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about brushing whiskers with a wet brush? You think that'll help?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How about brushing whiskers with a wet brush? You think that'll help?
I think if you comb Whiskers several times a day will be fine. As long as the fur are not matted, then probably you have nothing to worry about as this is how his fur is.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His fur just looks oily at times. I just bought a bristle brush and maybe I'll use that with some water.

I think if you comb Whiskers several times a day will be fine. As long as the fur are not matted, then probably you have nothing to worry about as this is how his fur is.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
His fur just looks oily at times. I just bought a bristle brush and maybe I'll use that with some water.
I think the best way is to help him and groom him a few times everyday. Cats have a natural secretion of oils and sometimes the cat is unable to reach certain parts of the body which will lead to oil build up.

You may also try some pet safe disposable wet towels from the pet shop and wipe him down gently and then brush him. This may reduce the build up of oil on the fur.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was spending time with whiskers and he was rubbing my leg. Then he opened his mouth and was about to bite me, unprovoked. It didn't seem to be a reaction to something, as it wasn't a fast and furious bite, but a opening of mouth and placing it by my leg. I immediately jerked back and he was frightened. He hissed at me and ran back to the box. I spent some time blinking at him until he calmed down into a loaf. Why did he try bite me? How can I avoid this

Last edited:

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was spending time with whiskers and he was rubbing my leg. Then he opened his mouth and was about to bite me, unprovoked. It didn't seem to be a reaction to something, as it wasn't a fast and furious bite, but a opening of mouth and placing it by my leg. I immediately jerked back and he was frightened. He hissed at me and ran back to the box. I spent some time blinking at him until he calmed down into a loaf. Why did he try bite me? How can I avoid this
My cat does this when hes in a lovey/affectionate mood. All of my cats do this. Just recently, my Tabby was making biscuits by my head and started play biting my forehead. He also does this every single time I get out of the shower too lol. My Long Hair will also do this when I play with him with my hands.

Try not to be so twitchy about it as he is likely just warming up to you.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I suggest you carry a toy or catnip toy with you whenever you are near him and whenever you sense that he is about to chomp on you, say in a firm voice 'NO' and present the toy to him to distract him.

I understand what you are saying and my boy is also sometimes like this. He can be lovey lovey for one moment and the next my body parts are in his mouth :lol:

It's a case of over stimulation and it works both ways.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whiskers has been eating less and lesser food. Should I be concerned? I feed him once a day: kibble, one chicken heart, couple of mussels, some chicken breast and fish oil. He eats everything but leaves a large portion of kibble than before. He pees and poos normally and plays normally as well. He eats all of the nicer things first and when I put the bowl with kibble in front of him, he sniffs it and goes away. I leave his food overnight and there's a significant portion of kibble left. I don't think he's sick or anything but what's wrong? Is he just picky? Should I find another cat food brand? I current feed instinct chicken dry food

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Whiskers has been eating less and lesser food. Should I be concerned? I feed him once a day: kibble, one chicken heart, couple of mussels, some chicken breast and fish oil. He eats everything but leaves a large portion of kibble than before. He pees and poos normally and plays normally as well. He eats all of the nicer things first and when I put the bowl with kibble in front of him, he sniffs it and goes away. I leave his food overnight and there's a significant portion of kibble left. I don't think he's sick or anything but what's wrong? Is he just picky? Should I find another cat food brand? I current feed instinct chicken dry food
Can you feed him wet canned food? The stuffs you are giving Whiskers have no nutritional values at all except the kibble which is not as bad as the other stuffs but wet canned food is far better.

I don't know why you are giving him fish oil and if you feed him wet canned food, all the nutrients are already formulated for the needs of the cat on a daily basis.

Yes, you can try other brands of flavors and see which are the ones he likes.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I give him wet food once a week. I don't particularly like giving him wet food cause he doesn't eat it all in one go and I don't like leaving it overnight. But yes I do give him wet food and I'm aware of the nutritional value of dry food. I try find the best that I can afford and is available, and actively supplement it. He has always ate the dry food well except recently. Not sure if he's just being a naughty picky cat.

Can you feed him wet canned food? The stuffs you are giving Whiskers have no nutritional values at all except the kibble which is not as bad as the other stuffs but wet canned food is far better.

I don't know why you are giving him fish oil and if you feed him wet canned food, all the nutrients are already formulated for the needs of the cat on a daily basis.

Yes, you can try other brands of flavors and see which are the ones he likes.

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also to add, he didn't finish his can food the last time I fed too

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, just to share whiskers is adapting very well! But just recently he miaos and hiss. Not sure why but it's a miao first then hiss. If it's a hiss first I get that I'm doing something wrong but why does a miao immediately turn into a hiss?