Scared semi feral stray cat hiding for a month

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I left him alone quickly after. Hope he would be nicer tomorrow. All I wanted to do was to give him dinner

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I left him alone quickly after. Hope he would be nicer tomorrow. All I wanted to do was to give him dinner
Don't worry about it and don't feel discouraged- your going to see 5steps forward,2 back and so on & so on- I call it the Transition cha cha " 1,2,3 & back -1,2,3 & back,lol This too shall pass

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From the camera, I always see whiskers walking around with his tail down. His tail is never up. Does it mean he's still very uncomfortable and unconfident with the place? I've seen him with his tail up once but only when he's playing with a mouse toy. How do I help him be more confident?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
From the camera, I always see whiskers walking around with his tail down. His tail is never up. Does it mean he's still very uncomfortable and unconfident with the place? I've seen him with his tail up once but only when he's playing with a mouse toy. How do I help him be more confident?
Down as in not upright but like level to the ground or down as in curved in under his belly?

Straight tail level to ground is ok. Tail curled under belly shows signs of being defensive or submissive and tail up high shows signs of confidence and happy.

If he cannot flick his tail or hold it up, it could be an injury to the tail which I don't think it is for him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Time

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Straight tail level to ground. But when he was an outside cat, his tail was always up and happy.

Down as in not upright but like level to the ground or down as in curved in under his belly?

Straight tail level to ground is ok. Tail curled under belly shows signs of being defensive or submissive and tail up high shows signs of confidence and happy.

If he cannot flick his tail or hold it up, it could be an injury to the tail which I don't think it is for him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Straight tail level to ground. But when he was an outside cat, his tail was always up and happy.
Happy? Well in his familiar territiry he was just what he was ... used to it and going about his usual,nothing different kind of day " comfortable

Try to not think in human terms( happy,sad,mad,jealous etc....) And aren't many human emotions contingent on tye people around us ?For eg:So & so makes me so happy or John made me angry- I'm jealous of the prettiest girl in town etc....

Or people often get depressed ,lonely or sad by themselves- felines are not like us,the do not reason and they don't think or dwell on their own issues.... they are instinctual,,what makes them tick is completely different that what makes us tick

First and foremost a cats environment is his world,he is not dependant on another of his species for his well being yet he is a social creature - this is quite unique in the animal kingdom He will thrive and survive in his established territory very well all by himself provided the environment has food and water sources Is he " happy"? As happy as a cat could be as long as he can get what he needs to survive

I've studied felines for a long long time- they are most content in a familiar environment - changes stresses them because it's unfamiliar-thats what the priority is to have a relaxed ,confident cat..... relationships take 2nd place..... your doing exactly what is needed,giving Whiskers time to establish his territory and feel safe and secure in it

Last edited:

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: he seems more comfortable now but he still hisses at me now and then. I realise it's when I move too fast. He does get startled and still seems a little scared at times. But nowadays he is a little more curious and relaxes faster.

Can I ask how do I get him to sheath his claws? His claws are very long and sharp and I get a little scared that he might scratch me, as he swipes when he doesn't like me touching a certain part. He has done quite a number of serious scratches and is definitely not in a state that I can touch his paws to cut his nails as well. Whenever he swipes I do move away quite quickly.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: he seems more comfortable now but he still hisses at me now and then. I realise it's when I move too fast. He does get startled and still seems a little scared at times. But nowadays he is a little more curious and relaxes faster.

Can I ask how do I get him to sheath his claws? His claws are very long and sharp and I get a little scared that he might scratch me, as he swipes when he doesn't like me touching a certain part. He has done quite a number of serious scratches and is definitely not in a state that I can touch his paws to cut his nails as well. Whenever he swipes I do move away quite quickly.
You really did answer your own question in that he swats when you move quickly- no doubt if you slow down and really try to be aware of your movement and body language you'd see the ears change position and the paw lifting- the faster you move the faster they react

I'll give you an example and I'll use Timmy since you already know what a hard case he was

Of course Timmy never knew human touch and he never even revealed to anyone his presence....though I knew of him I'd probably never would have seen him had I not stumbled upon him hiding under a bush with a broken leg

I move extremely slowly around ferals and if I am close enough(while feeding) my first goal is touch, leaning over a cat is very threatening-getting your hands below their head ,closed fist ( back of hand)to approach and graze from the side of their neck is the least threatening,this is why I start at the food dish but you cannot jerk back- if your moving slowly enough to just stop and ease back you will see them warn first.....Timmy would flatten his ears and there I'd stop,just leaving my hand there- if he was agitated by my not withdrawing he'd turn his attention to me - you slowly draw back speaking soft,reassuring words all the while.....

I've been a bloody mess throughout the years but am not afraid to get scratched or bitten and when folks are afraid they are very jerky with their movements,move too quickly for fear of getting scratched and thsts usually who gets scratched- Your own calm,self assured confidence certainly shows in your body language...... it's extremely difficult to explain body language to someone without showing someone

I don't want to jinx things,lol but I've never gotten scratched by Timmy during the process of winning his trust- I've said it many times but while they are eating is the best opportunity to begin on the neck.... not while they are focused on you

When you approach a frightened cat and are hoping to pet him all of his attention is on you- if you approaches you and you know there is places he doesn't want you to touch,don't touch..... in time there is no place on his body you'll not be able to touch once he trusts you and you gradually stroke further along his body, from the head to the sides,down the back and to the end of his tail..... from there you will go down his front legs ,chest and front half- finally your strikes with go from the top of his head all the way down to his rump and back legs

And not when they are lying down in loaf position where they can swiftly launch and definitely not on their sides or back where you've got 4 paws ahd teeth- best when they are standing,2nd best sitting

It's a process,like everything else- I'm up to the belly with Timmy,he's not too thrilled with it so I have to be very aware of his body language-when he lifts his head and his ears spread out he's telling me " no" and I move to his sides & under the chjn( his favorite) --- slooow,slooow and talking sweetly the entire time..... all Total it has taken almost 2yrs to get to this point.... what's the hurry? You are very far along although it doesn't seem thst way to you,slow and steady,patience

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see. I must admit I am really a little hesitant as I've been scratched badly stitches and all by him. I do brush him and he likes it. I am worried about having to clip his nails next time so I thought will be good to try touch his paws now and then with a long stick or brush to desensitize him.

You really did answer your own question in that he swats when you move quickly- no doubt if you slow down and really try to be aware of your movement and body language you'd see the ears change position and the paw lifting- the faster you move the faster they react

I'll give you an example and I'll use Timmy since you already know what a hard case he was

Of course Timmy never knew human touch and he never even revealed to anyone his presence....though I knew of him I'd probably never would have seen him had I not stumbled upon him hiding under a bush with a broken leg

I move extremely slowly around ferals and if I am close enough(while feeding) my first goal is touch, leaning over a cat is very threatening-getting your hands below their head ,closed fist ( back of hand)to approach and graze from the side of their neck is the least threatening,this is why I start at the food dish but you cannot jerk back- if your moving slowly enough to just stop and ease back you will see them warn first.....Timmy would flatten his ears and there I'd stop,just leaving my hand there- if he was agitated by my not withdrawing he'd turn his attention to me - you slowly draw back speaking soft,reassuring words all the while.....

I've been a bloody mess throughout the years but am not afraid to get scratched or bitten and when folks are afraid they are very jerky with their movements,move too quickly for fear of getting scratched and thsts usually who gets scratched- Your own calm,self assured confidence certainly shows in your body language...... it's extremely difficult to explain body language to someone without showing someone

I don't want to jinx things,lol but I've never gotten scratched by Timmy during the process of winning his trust- I've said it many times but while they are eating is the best opportunity to begin on the neck.... not while they are focused on you

When you approach a frightened cat and are hoping to pet him all of his attention is on you- if you approaches you and you know there is places he doesn't want you to touch,don't touch..... in time there is no place on his body you'll not be able to touch once he trusts you and you gradually stroke further along his body, from the head to the sides,down the back and to the end of his tail..... from there you will go down his front legs ,chest and front half- finally your strikes with go from the top of his head all the way down to his rump and back legs

And not when they are lying down in loaf position where they can swiftly launch and definitely not on their sides or back where you've got 4 paws ahd teeth- best when they are standing,2nd best sitting

It's a process,like everything else- I'm up to the belly with Timmy,he's not too thrilled with it so I have to be very aware of his body language-when he lifts his head and his ears spread out he's telling me " no" and I move to his sides & under the chjn( his favorite) --- slooow,slooow and talking sweetly the entire time..... all Total it has taken almost 2yrs to get to this point.... what's the hurry? You are very far along although it doesn't seem thst way to you,slow and steady,patience

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I see. I must admit I am really a little hesitant as I've been scratched badly stitches and all by him. I do brush him and he likes it. I am worried about having to clip his nails next time so I thought will be good to try touch his paws now and then with a long stick or brush to desensitize him.
I don't know whst to tell you about clipping his nails'- good luck with that,lol

Timmy has talons at this point,he's like a velcro cat,rofl I literally have to peel his paws off the side of the leather ottoman and carpet sometimes as he gets stuck!I cannot possibly clip his nails and I won't attempt it either-it just has to wait and after he's carrier trained ( coming along) I'll have them do it at the Vets office.... not a one man job for sure

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea, if his paws are untouchable and responds with vengeance, best place is get the vet to do it for you unless you have another partner in crime to help you which will also stress the cat out and end up not doing anything which makes matters worst as it'll be harder to do it the next time.

Even when the claws are clipped, they are still very sharp but better that non clipped claws as they are extremely sharp.

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have scars on my body that I've accumulated over the past few decades, I don't want to say you get used to it, but you sorta do. Most scratches don't even hurt anymore, I feel like it's just as much a mental feeling as it is a physical. Like mentioned if you see a swat coming, try not to pull back so fast as that's when you'll get most of the damage. Most of the time it's all paw, but if their nails are long you'll sometimes get a scratch. It's going to happen, especially in the situation that you're in.

I'm actually in the same situation although my girl doesn't hiss at me. It's a bit tricky for me as the stray I adopted has obviously had her tail broken at some time as shes missing half of it and it's shifted to the side and down permanently. There's also a small hump right where the bone connects to her backside and the tail is very limp, I believe she also has no feeling in it cus I've played with it and even seen my cats reach under the door and grab it and she doesn't bat an eye so I have to rely heavily on other types of body language whether she's happy or agitated. That said, if you see a paw raise, stop anything you're doing and try your best not to move your hands in quick motions(or even at all sometimes.) You might get a slap sometimes, or he'll notice you aren't doing what he thought you were going to do, but you gotta make sure to always expect it if you get to that situation and not fear it.

I think the worst scratches I've ever gotten have been from kittens, though. Their nails feel worse to me, like little tiny razors!

charbby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'm worried cause he has hurt me badly to a point I needed stitches. It was quite traumatic, and now I'm hesitant to pet him when he's standing up or out of the box. I never had the problem when he was an outdoor cat so it's definitely cause of that experience. I've purchased a pair of animal handling gloves so maybe that would help me build up my courage as well.