Scared...Root Canal Tomorrow at 9am

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

well, i'm unusual in that i don't really mind the dentist. i had a filling about a week ago, & dozed off while he was drilling @ least 3 times. my root canal was similar - really not bad at all. the thing i dislike most about going is having to hold my mouth open for so long - makes my TMJ sore.
sending calming & healing & for you for tomorrow!
I'm like you - I doze off during fillings and they tap my shoulder to wake me to open my mouth wider.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries!

I have had 9 root canals, I'll bet. You will be fine.

You'' just be out a LOT of $$$$$$. Even with insurance, it's $500

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Eww. You're lucky that the infection didn't spread or abscess. As for the injection, it may have felt like it hit bone but thats not the case. When they give the local they block certain nerve branches that feed into that tooth and surrounding it.
I didn't feel anything, that's what they had nicknamed it, not me,
. It was not their normal procedure injection. They inserted a needle into the gum area and injected the pain killer through there, leaving it in the entire time in order to be able to inject more. I have forgotten the drug name, but know it begins with an I.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

No worries!

I have had 9 root canals, I'll bet. You will be fine.

You'' just be out a LOT of $$$$$$. Even with insurance, it's $500
Yea, muchos $$$$s. I don't have health insurance...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by plainjane

I didn't feel anything, that's what they had nicknamed it, not me,
. It was not their normal procedure injection. They inserted a needle into the gum area and injected the pain killer through there, leaving it in the entire time in order to be able to inject more. I have forgotten the drug name, but know it begins with an I.
Lidocaine. And that was fairly normal procedure. That's how it was done in all but the last time I had a tooth worked on (and that's only because a diagnosis I have made the dentist more careful).

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had two different experiences. The very first root canal I had was painless but the 2nd one was awful. They were two different dentists and years between. Since you already know your dentist is a good one, I know you'll be just fine. Sending good vibes.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hooray! So glad to hear it went well!
I almost posted linkage last night to a video of an endodontist narrating his root canal procedure, but decided against it.. the paper points and post can look pretty intimidating and I didn't want to give you nightmares!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear yours went well! Do you know when you'll be getting your permenant crown? (I'm assuming you're getting one anyways!)

I had an emergency root canal done a few months ago and afterwards I felt instantly better! I hope u feel a little bit better now that the root canal part is over with.
I was in excruciating pain before I had mine done but once the endodontist (sp?) did mine I felt soooo much relief! I had gas and the freezing (I'm really sensitive to pain so I figured that'd be best for me). The doctor was nice too- he let me listen to my ipod the whole time (The noise of the drill etc. freaks me out, so I listen to music to calm down and drown it out lol.)

As far as soft foods go, if you have a Mcalister's near you- their broccli chedder soup bowls are amazing! I lived off those for about two weeks lol. Also, Gerber Graduates strawberry yogurt melts are a great snack and are sooo soft! (they're ment for teething toddlers but they were perfect for me after all that dental work!) I was really tender for a while after mine, so I had to stick with soft foods for a good while.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittybernard

I almost posted linkage last night to a video of an endodontist narrating his root canal procedure, but decided against it.. the paper points and post can look pretty intimidating and I didn't want to give you nightmares!
LOL,
I have to laugh at that as I watched horror movies till the early morning last night to get my mind off it...lol.

thank you

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Glad to hear yours went well! Do you know when you'll be getting your permenant crown? (I'm assuming you're getting one anyways!)

I had an emergency root canal done a few months ago and afterwards I felt instantly better! I hope u feel a little bit better now that the root canal part is over with.
I was in excruciating pain before I had mine done but once the endodontist (sp?) did mine I felt soooo much relief! I had gas and the freezing (I'm really sensitive to pain so I figured that'd be best for me). The doctor was nice too- he let me listen to my ipod the whole time (The noise of the drill etc. freaks me out, so I listen to music to calm down and drown it out lol.)

As far as soft foods go, if you have a Mcalister's near you- their broccli chedder soup bowls are amazing! I lived off those for about two weeks lol. Also, Gerber Graduates strawberry yogurt melts are a great snack and are sooo soft! (they're ment for teething toddlers but they were perfect for me after all that dental work!) I was really tender for a while after mine, so I had to stick with soft foods for a good while.
I do really feel better...it's a relief, to be honest. And it looks like the rest of my teeth are fine, including the ones surrounding the infected molar, so that's good news!

I actually thought of the IPod idea before I went in, but figured it'd be a bit awkward for me if I added that to the equation.

Thanks, I think there is a McAlisters just up the road! And those Gerber strawberry yogurt melts sound SUPER good! I'm going to go to WalMart tomorrow, so I'll grab some

I too tend to be tender and sore after any work done, just seems like I always am...Plus my gums aren't in the best condition, so that also adds to the pain factor.

Thank you for the tips!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by plainjane

I do really feel better...it's a relief, to be honest. And it looks like the rest of my teeth are fine, including the ones surrounding the infected molar, so that's good news!

I actually thought of the IPod idea before I went in, but figured it'd be a bit awkward for me if I added that to the equation.

Thanks, I think there is a McAlisters just up the road! And those Gerber strawberry yogurt melts sound SUPER good! I'm going to go to WalMart tomorrow, so I'll grab some

I too tend to be tender and sore after any work done, just seems like I always am...Plus my gums aren't in the best condition, so that also adds to the pain factor.

Thank you for the tips!
You're welcome!! Hope it helps a little bit!
/ Definitely get some graduate melts -those are great- u don't even have to chew them, you can really just put them on your tounge if you want a snack and they'll dissolve. (really good after dental work!!!) / Mcalister's broccli cheese soup is really soft/easy to eat as well (And if you get the bread bowl- in a few days when u feel better, it's pretty soft too). Those were my favorites after the root canal. I think I made mashed potatoes too and those were soft enough. Good luck!

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittybernard

Im really glad to hear it went well too
Im pretty sure i know what video you almost posted last night? youtube? I live with permanent nerve damage from a dental procedure.. Just so others dont end up screwed for life here is some important info i want to share for anyone to consider before printing your signature on that consent form .... Dont mean to give anyone nightmares but facts are facts and most of the world is unaware

http://www.sargentipaste.org/

http://www.nodentalpain.com/ArticaineParesthesia.html

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...lth&id=6480245

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms cat love

Im really glad to hear it went well too
Im pretty sure i know what video you almost posted last night? youtube?

http://www.sargentipaste.org/

http://www.nodentalpain.com/ArticaineParesthesia.html

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...lth&id=6480245
I don't remember the address but yes, it was one on Youtube.
I was such a basket case that my endodontist actually informed me about all of those things before hand. I've always felt very lucky to have been under his care.