Scared of the litter box?? Please help...

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasnt sure where to post this but here goes....so my 7 month kitty acts deathly afraid of the litter box he wont even let me put him in there. hes scratched me a couple freaking out i have a litter box with a hood and without a hood. Ive tried different litter but nothing is helping he acts like its water! Ive never had this problem with a cat before so i dont know what to do its driving me crazy. [emoji]128547[/emoji][emoji]128547[/emoji] ive also had since since he was a couple weeks old ive had this problem since i started training him. Please help.....

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I think a little more information might be needed. 

You say he has scratched you a couple times freaking out so is it safe to assume the cat has NOT been declawed?

You said you have had the cat since it was a couple weeks old and that this issue has been happening since you started training.  Please elaborate. What training method are you using? 

Are the kittys potty habits normal?  by normal I mean there is no constipation or urinary infections?  Has the kitty seen a vet?  The first thing I would want to rule out is to make sure it is not a medical issue.  If your kitty is experience pain in the litter box, they will avoid it. 

Are you a multicat household?  Is there another cat or dog or young child or any threat that stalks your kitty so he is afraid of getting trapped in there?

You said you have multiple litter boxes, are they placed in different locations?  Is there something about the current location that scares the kitty?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aw, poor little guy.  Where does your kitty pee and poop now if he won't use the litter box?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, please describe the type of litter and litter box you are using.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats and 5 litter boxes 3 of them have hoods and the other 2 are low sides. i was using a non clumping clay litter but now switched over to pine pellets at the bottom of the litter boxes and cerder shavings on top (not sure if i spelt that right).he goes potty on my carpet in my kids room or my rook but its always the same spot or if i lock him in the bathroom he'll go in front of the litter box. He has not been declawed i was also planning on getting him fixed next month. his vet said hes fine and it just takes time for a kitty to learn im not doing anything special if he poops i take it and put it in the litter box also if i catch him i try to put him in the box but he just freaks out hes always freaked out hes never had a liking for any of the boxes. Hes a stubborn kitty lol i need to save my carpets its starting to smell bad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsaremyworld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Btw I've had him since he was 9 days old

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well yes, that does answer a lot of questions.  I am guessing that another of the cats has to be stalking and harrassing him...key word there is GUESSING.  Your vet is higher educated than I, but I don't think its typical for a cat to NOT use the litter box without cause.  This is something cats pretty much do naturally.  It's instinct to cover it up.  Do you have a litter box in your kids room or in your rook?   A random suggestion would be if you are able to separate your cat for a couple days or even just for a day with his own litter box and see if he relaxes a little.  Another idea might be if there are stray cats outdoors marking, he is marking indoors to combat that.  Getting him fixed may help... I say may.  I am not an expert on these things.  I also have 4 cats though, and one of them is a bully and one of them is very timid and the bully will lay in wait and watch for the shy one to go in the bathroom where the litter pan is so she can ambush her.  The silly timid one makes it a point to go in whenever I change the litter because she wants to be the first one to use the litter pan... actually, its kind of a race, and whoever sees me clean them first gets so excited... they have 5 litter pans, one they will not use (its just like all the others) and my silly ragdoll follows me around while I clean them so she can hop in each, even if she has nothing to do there.