Scared of litter box

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, my 3 year old boy, Howie, was recently diagnosed with Feline Hyperesthesia. They started him on gabapentin twice a day and he is doing great! However, it took several months to get to this diagnosis. We did a food trial, they tried Benadryl and a steroid shot. During all that time, Howie was in pain.

Just in the last month, Howie has developed a litter box problem. He will pee in the box (thank God!), but he appears to be afraid to poop in the box. He follows me around crying, until he poops on the floor.

My theory is that at some point it hurt while he was going, and he blamed the box. Now he holds it. When he does go it hurts, he blames the box again.... The cycle continues. I know he needs to go. He is following me around crying, but when I put him in the box, he jumps right out.

We have tried a new box, moving the box, to no avail. I have no idea what to do! Any suggestions?

noracatowner101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe you must take you cat to the vet ASAP. It is Christmas  (happy holidays!), and most vets are closed, but you can try going to a 24 hour hospital. He might just seem more scared after all that pain/procedures, but it is odd that he only does Number 1 in his box. He also may be constipated, and he feels "safer" near you. Taking you kitty to the vet would be a good thing to do, but if you are waiting for your appointment to come, try placing him in the litter box. Try to lightly shield him, so that way he cant really escape. He could also be depressed, wanting attention. I recommded to play with him for at least 30minutes to 1 hour a day. Has his diet changed? I recommend taking him to a vet so they can really diagnose whats going on though.

Hope this helps :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
@cg33 I'm wondering whether you can find something that can act as a box but doesn't look like one.. Just what I'm not sure but you know what I mean?  Different litter and perhaps something with very low sides.. it may get a little messy when he covers up, but you can gradually wean him back into a normal box. 

Are you using two boxes?  He may have developed the (not at all uncommon) idea that he won't poo where he wees.  It's certainly worth a go if you haven't tried it.

I wouldn't recommend putting him in the box and keeping him there.. that would just exacerbate the fear.

It does sound like it's behavioural - he's not constipated and obviously wants to do the right thing but can't.  However if it keeps up it would be good to get him checked over.

Also here's a link to our really comprehensive info on litterbox issues.  You may find something there to help:  [article="32366"]How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
@cg33
I'm wondering whether you can find something that can act as a box but doesn't look like one.. Just what I'm not sure but you know what I mean?  Different litter and perhaps something with very low sides.. it may get a little messy when he covers up, but you can gradually wean him back into a normal box. 
Are you using two boxes?  He may have developed the (not at all uncommon) idea that he won't poo where he wees.  It's certainly worth a go if you haven't tried it.
I wouldn't recommend putting him in the box and keeping him there.. that would just exacerbate the fear.

It does sound like it's behavioural - he's not constipated and obviously wants to do the right thing but can't.  However if it keeps up it would be good to get him checked over.

Also here's a link to our really comprehensive info on litterbox issues.  You may find something there to help:  [article="32366"]​[/article] 
:yeah: It doesn't sound like he needs an ER vet, but getting him checked over isn't a bad idea if the problem continues. Forcing him to stay in the box could aggravate the problem.

A few extra litter boxes might help, especially if they're unlike what he's using now, ie, covered vs uncovered, high sides vs low sides, a more private location.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that this sounds behavioral and doesn't warrant a vet visit at this time. You could add some plain canned pumpkin into his food to help him go a bit more easily though.

Praise him every time he uses the litter box and give him treats so he associates it with good things. I agree that you could try different boxes and litters, leaving down the one he'll use to pee as well. Definitely don't force him to use the litter box if he's uncomfortable.