Scared new kitty

Wendylady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just adopted a 2 year old male. He had been hit by a car and they amputated his left front leg. The stitches only came out 3 days ago. Anyway we brought him home. It's been 3 hours and he is still terrified and won't come out of the carrier. I'm sure he is still learning to walk again so that must be part of it. What can I do to help him feel safe and loved? I don't want to over do it and upset him. Right now I have his carrier on the floor next to the couch. I'm at the other end waiting.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Thank you for taking in this kitty! He will be scared for a long time possibly. He has been through surgery, and now thrown into an environment that is completely foreign to him. This TCS article (see link below) should help you to devise a plan for him that should help him adapt. Whatever you do, don't enable him, if you can, to seek refuge under a bed or couch. Once that would happen, you will need to deal with it accordingly, meaning that you leave that as his safe zone until he is ready to come out.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, and welcome!

I'm usually at the other end of the spectrum regarding allowing a cat to have a safe location under a bed, however if you can, give him his own smaller room with some boxes to use for hides instead (block off access to under the bed), so that you can get to him if he requires attention to the healing area. That would be better in this situation. Just set the carrier down in the room when it's ready, block open the door of the carrier so it doesn't swing shut and leave, for now.

I'm at the other end waiting.
Otherwise, what often works best is for you to go about your regular duties as if he's not there. What this does is to help him begin to learn about your household, the sounds, smells, routines, including from outside. And, it gives him the emotional space to calm down and start to relax.

A little later on, try sitting on the floor, read to him or just work on your laptop or whatever, but don't look directly at him as that can seem aggressive to a fearful cat. Most of all, don't have any expectations. You need to let him decide when to approach you.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A small "safe room" is an excellent idea, and be sure to put his food, water, and litter box in with him, or nearby, if for some reason he needs to stay in a more open area.