Scared new kitty cries all night, doesn't eat, and nothing in the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

attynscoutsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahhh, ok!  We're unintentially starving her!  No wonder she inhales everything we put in front of her!  Thanks for letting us know...we'll adjust!

kat013

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, ok!  We're unintentially starving her!  No wonder she inhales everything we put in front of her!  Thanks for letting us know...we'll adjust!
Uh, yeah, I'm not sure where you read that kittens don't know when they're full, but that's really bad info.  Kittens should be allowed to free-feed.  I theorize that this also helps them maintain good eating habits as adults - The cats I've raised from kittenhood are/were all free-feeders as adults - I never had to regulate their food intake to prevent weight gain.

Leave some kitten kibble out for her during the day while you're gone to work, and at night while you're sleeping.  Moisten it a bit with water before you put it down, and/or crush it up.  You'll have to experiment with the amount to get it so she eats 99% of it by the time you get home from work.  And get a temporary shallower water dish.  This girl needs to have as little stress around food and water as possible right now.

If she's playing on the scratching post, she'll figure out what to do with it in due time.  If you notice her scratching on something else (and it's not "I'm looking for a place to poop/pee" scratching on the floor), pick her up and set her right next to / on the scratching post.

If she doesn't like the belled toys, put them away and save them for later.  With her unknown history, there's no telling why she might be afraid of them.

She is one lucky baby to have you for a momma!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With wee ones, they need to eat every several hours.  If your older kitty won't get to the food, you can feed wet AM & PM & just before bed and leave dry kitten food out during the day.  Royal Canin makes a great kitten food (babycat) in 2 different sizes, one for very young kittens up to 3 months and one 3-6 months.  It makes it easier for them to eat the crunchies.

If Scout hasn't been tested for FIV and FeLV you shouldn't allow your older kitty to interact with her.

attynscoutsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We broke up some of the dry food and put it in her room.  She is picking at it little by little, but at least it's there if she does get hungry. 

I know we shouldn't have the two together before the vet appointment, but honestly, it was the only way she stopped crying and came out from hiding.  Scout goes to the vet on Thursday, so we have all fingers crossed at this point.

attynscoutsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok all.  I have a new question haha.

Atty and Scout and getting along great and playing with each other.  However, sometimes Atty (1 year old) bites the back of Scouts neck and tries to pin her.  When he does it, he doesn't ever seem aggressive towards her as far as body language, but sometimes she yelps (or lets out a cry).  When she does that, we pull him off (or sometimes he backs off on his own before we can get to him).  At first we thought he was just playing with her like she's a toy, or he's trying to show he's Alpha, but now we're not sure.

I'm pretty sure he likes her because when we do seperate the two, they cry at the door for each other.  They also eat peacefully with each other, and usually play nice together.

Any thoughts?  Anything we should be looking for?  Is it normal?  How do we break it up without making Atty mad?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it needs breaking up.  If she cries, does he stop pretty quickly?  Cat play can be very rough, but if no-one is getting hurt and both are doing it of their own free will I would let them get on with it.

attynscoutsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
***UPDATE***

Scout just got back from the vet.  The vet believes she's about 7-8 weeks based on her teeth coming in and she weighs 1.01lbs.  He said she is in excellent health for being found in the wild.  No worms, but she did have a slight ear infection that we got drops for.  She got her first distemper shot and set up appointments for leukemia test and boosers.  Our baby girl is doing fine, she's just going to be little I supposed haha.

Thanks again for all the help and advise!