Scared Momma Cat Will Abandon Kittens

samw88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So one of my mousers has three week old kittens. This is her second litter with us. Her first litter when she gave birth, each kitten was in a different spot and she didn’t take care of the placenta or clean them up. My husband and I took the kittens and cleaned them up and gave them some kitten formula. Then we decided to try to put her in a crate with her kittens to see if she would take care of them. She did. But then we let her back outside to use the restroom, she came back inside and straight to the crate but she then killed her kittens. Also when we got her she was pregnant. Since we have all female mousers we didn’t think we needed to fix her. Well then some random jerk just dropped their cat off out in the country and we were the nearest people. We found the cat a home. But he must have gotten extra lucky and got my mouser knocked up. Well she did it again. She had all her kittens in random spots and didn’t even take the planters off. So In the middle of the night a gather up her four kittens. Take the placenta off. Put them in our extra large dog crate and put the momma in with them. She has done great taking care of them. We haven’t let her out scared she would kill them or abandon them. The kittens are three weeks old doing great! When would be a good time to let her out of the crate?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would give it another couple of weeks. Basically the answer is when the kittens begin to eat solids and need mom less, though most will continue to nurse if possible. They get baby teeth at four weeks and usually begin eating soft food around 5-6 weeks.

Plan to get mom spayed as soon as the kittens are eating solids in case she decides to stop nursing or you have to keep her separate from her kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samw88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would give it another couple of weeks. Basically the answer is when the kittens begin to eat solids and need mom less, though most will continue to nurse if possible. They get baby teeth at four weeks and usually begin eating soft food around 5-6 weeks.

Plan to get mom spayed as soon as the kittens are eating solids in case she decides to stop nursing or you have to keep her separate from her kittens.
Thank you. That’s what I was thinking. I just feel bad her being cooped up in the crate.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you could let her out by herself for a couple of hours here and there. I’m sure she needs a break. At least give it a try, then watch to make sure she is good with her babies when she goes back in.

If that is working over the next week, you might be able to let all of them out to explore one room a bit. The kittens will need that too.

Let us know how it goes! :)

S samw88