Scared Kitten

Leem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Brought my kitten home 5 days ago and shes very frightful, she hides all the time and has not come out to investigate anything. Shes eating and using litter box all good in her safe place and I decided to keep door open on the 3rd night, she peaked out and that was all. I left the door open that night and I could hear her playing and she came in my room at 330 and cried under bed then went quite, it's like shes afraid of me. And just now she climbed up in the back of recliner so I had to take her out and back in her safe place.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, how old is she? And where did you get her?

There are other members who will probably come by soon with more specific ideas, but: keeping her in the safe room for longer should help. Also, don't maintain eye contact with her, but spend time near her while she's eating, not even looking at her, and read a book aloud in a soft tone. Always speak to her softly and never force contact unless she's somehow in danger.

She'll warm up, but she needs time and patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shes 6 months old and got her from the HumaneCNY.

Her safe place is the bathroom and she doesn't mind it, I made a hiding spot in a cardboard box with a cat bed in it. She spends almost all her time in it when shes in that room.

Kittyloverr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! It's normal for a cat to react like that at first, after all she was just placed in a new environment she doesn't know. She should come around sooner or later. There are some things you can do to help the process. Speak to her softly and avoid eye contact, as war&wisdom said. You want to make sure she sees you are no threat. Be sure to never force her to come out of hiding unless it's an emergency. If you continue to be gentle, she'll definitely start to come out and explore. Some cats take longer than others. Good luck, and congrats on your new kitten!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there, don’t think too much into it. She is a kitten and we don’t know what kind of life she had until this point. She could have been an abused feral by humans for all we know. It will take time. Not all kittens are up and playful right away.

Just go about your day as you normally would, check in on her every once in a while and when she’s ready, you will know.

You can also buy a pheromone diffuser if you have some money. I am not sure how effective it is on a young kitten however.

With patience, soon enough you will have a little snuggly kitty.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise