scared foster cat not drinking

fuzzywump

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello… I have a house Cat called Lucy and a rescue cat Mr. whiskers who has a lot of attitude he’s 11 and they hate each other. I was able to keep them separate because I have a bedroom dedicated to the foster cats however I have a third cat now TOM a foster that was an emergency situation who is a sweet as can be, but absolutely terrified. I’ve put Tom in the cat room by himself because he’s so scared. He’s in a box and he has not come out at all not to eat or drink or as far as I can tell use the litter box. it’s day three and when I went to check and see if he’d eaten anything and put a tiny bowl of water nearer to the box. he hissed and swiped at me for the first time .. I understand how terrified the new situation is for him, but it seems like his fear is getting worse, not better and he really is being left alone and quiet. I’ve got a full-time job keeping the other two cats apart because the cat room is now occupied. how long can Tom go without eating or drinking? Am I doing him a disservice by having the blanket over the front of the cardboard box? Since he’s in his room all by himself, should I take the blanket off and maybe that will at least make him look at his surroundings and maybe venture out?

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind of food do you have out for Tom - something yummy-smelly? He's scared and so he'll need quiet and dark perhaps. If you leave him some delicious bedtime food he may be tempted to venture out. And nothing in his litter box for several days now? How big is his room?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd also suggest spending some time in the room with him...not TOO close, just..there. Sit on the floor, and without making eye contact, speak to him, or read aloud from any book you like...it's the tone of voice, not the words that we're going for. Gentle, soft tone of voice. This will help him get accustomed to you in the most non-threatening way I know of.