Scared cat now won't walk

aggie87gal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten named Simon.  He is 4 months old.  I recently was on a trip and had my neighbor feeding my cats.  He was fine the first couple of days then my boyfriend came to check on them one day and Simon was unable to walk.  He didn't seem in pain but just couldn't stand or walk.  He took Simon to the vet and they did blood work and xrays and didn't see anything.  They could not get a urine sample.  They recommended a neurological consult but we decided to wait and see.  They gave him a shot of dexa...something and also prescribed some prednisone.  The last vet appointment was on last Saturday.  He started to show improvement early this past week and by Friday he was walking around...climbing up on the bed using his claws.  He was using the litter box and eating and drinking.  We thought everything was great.....until last night.  He was on the couch sitting next to my boyfriend.  My son came in the front door and it scared Simon and he jumped off the couch and started to run then just collapsed and wouldn't walk again.  We took him to my room to calm him down.....still wouldn't walk...obviously he was scared.  His pupils were dilated for about an hour.  He did calm down and just laid on the bed.  This morning he still couldn't walk.  Will lick water off my finger but not eating.  I did carry him to the litter box and held him up.  He did pass a stool but no urination.

He just lays there.  I will touch base with the vet tomorrow.  Is it possible for a cat to be so scared that it loses it's capacity to walk for a period of time???

Now we did get him from a farm and do not know his background.  He received all his initial shots as a kitten and has showed negative for feline leukemia twice.  We always thought he was a little "slow" but we just always considered him our special kitty.  We love him and just don't want to see him in any pain.  This is the strangest thing I have ever seen..

Lost in Louisiana....

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have never heard of such a thing.  Usually when they are scared, they run like crazy...away from what is scaring them (at least mine do).

Is it all 4 legs, or just his back legs that don't appear to be working?  How about his stomach...does he appear to be bloated?  Is he still on the prednisone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aggie87gal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I try to stand him up he just falls over.  He can stretch his legs out.  He is sleeping a lot.  He did eat a few morsels of food and drink a little water when I brink it to him.  His stomach is not bloated.  He is on prednisone and has about 8 more days of one pill per day.

When my son scared him by walking in the door....he jumped off the couch onto a rug then ran towards the kitchen and that was as far as he made it...legs went out on him.  If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Must be really worrying, I know how panicked I was when I came in one night and realized my elderly cat couldn't stand on her back legs.  Hope you can get to a vet soon.

With Pal the thinks she had a bony spur that was bruising her spinal cord.  The anti inflammatories helped her and she regained strength over a period of a few days but was still weak, sadly for her as she was very elderly (21 3/4)  it was too much.  I am sure if she had recovered more and got more active again but suddenly moved she might have trapped her spinal cord again and it could have happened again.  Wondering if the bony spur / nerve trapping thing might be worth looking at further with the vet.  I've not heard of cats loosing back leg strength a s a result of stress before but as a result of some form of injury, something pressing on a nerve or spinal cord, or neurological damage then yes.  Sometimes things like this can happen as a result of a virus rather than injury as well. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How's he doing today?  Any better?   This is just the oddest thing?  Did you call the Vet and let them know what happened (again)?  I would certainly do that and see what they say. 

aggie87gal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called my vet today but did not get a call back from them.  He is eating and drinking and sleeping and doesn't seem to be in any pain.  He can stretch out and move his limbs, but still won't stand up.  I will give it one more day and see how he is.  I am continuing the prednisone in hopes that will help also get him back up.  Thanks for your concern....I will keep you posted.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get a second opinion from a different vet or take him to the ER vet.  Poor guy!

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you talk to your neighbors and see if he may have accidentally gotten into something or if they gave him anything as a treat that they didn't realize may be bad for a cat?

Not sure if your neighbors are cat owners. There are a lot if things that a cat can get into that are bad for them that someone may not think of. Do you have any plants or anything that maybe he got into, started to recover and then got into again when he started getting better the first time?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Has there been any improvement, or have you been able to talk with a vet and see if they can investigate further? Thinking of you all and got my fingers crossed, sending good wishes.  

aggie87gal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We originally did think it might have been a plant from indoors.  We put it outside immediately so we don't think that was it.  We asked my neighbor about anything unusual and they said no...

aggie87gal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took him to the vet on Tuesday morning.  They checked him out and didn't find anything broken.  They recommended a consult because they feel it is a neurological issue.   I still have him on prednisone.  He is not using his back legs to walk.  He will stretch them out but will not stand up.  He pulls himself with his front legs.  It is very sad......  I am having to hold him up in the litter box so he can use it.  I am hoping to see some progress by the end of the week.  I love this little guy and I don't want to make that tough decision.....

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, how hard, I'll keep thinking of you, and sending lots of positive vibes of hope your baby picks up and the vet can make sense of what's going on.  He's such a young thing and I can't imagine how you feel, it was hard enough seeing my old girl trying to cope.  Fingers crossed it's been some bruising to his spinal cord or something when he's been bouncing about and you get that improvement you're looking for.

aggie87gal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some good news this morning with Simon.  He has been attempting to stand up and use his back legs.  He is wobbly but at least he is trying and gaining strength back in them.  We actually had him laying on a heating pad (low heat) on his lower torso last evening so maybe that is also helping along with the prednisone.   I massaged his hip/joint area also trying to keep it loose.  It doesn't seem to bother him so I take that as a positive.  Keep him in your prayers.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, very happy to hear there is some progress, fingers still crossed and positive vibes coming your way from here. 

I want to you continue to feel hope and be able to give out positive vibes to Simon. I just remembered a thread goHolistic started a few weeks ago:  the presentation and condition is not like Simon but I am hoping this wonderful story about a young cat learning to walk will give you a lift.  Here's the link:

http://www.rots.com/video/9434/kitten-overcomes-a-crippling-disorder-and-learns-to-walk

aggie87gal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I go to that link it shows connection problem.  I was able to review other videos from that website.  Would love to read about that....

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
No idea why you can't view, this is the link to GoHolistic's thread, wonder if may be that will work?  I am still able to view it.  Good luck, it is so positive.

aggie87gal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We were able to view that link...what an awesome story.  That is exactly like Simon walks...not much control over the back legs.  He has walked several times today so we are continuing to encourage him and praise him.  My boyfriend already wants to make one of those walking contraptions in that video.  I am hoping we won't need it.  Thank you for sharing that video link....it was inspiring.

nocturnal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How utterly scary this must be! I hope all goes well with your cat!

aggie87gal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Simon is doing great.  I never would have thought a week ago that he would be this way.  He walks around slowly and somewhat stiffly, but he gets to where he wants to go.  He has a great appetite and is alert and playful at times.  I have 2 more weeks of the prednisone so I am anxious to see what will happen when I finish with it.  I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers.....it helped.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  I am so happy Simon is doing well!  Here's to his continued progress and you all getting good news when you see the vet again.  I'll continue to send lots of god vibes and have you in my thoughts until we know he's back to his good self, running around, but now he's hungry, and s little playful everything is heading in the right direction.  Hugs to Simon!  What a determined cat.