scared aggressive behavior

marcianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night my cat attacked me. I heard what I thought were my 2 cats fighting and got up from bed to see what was going on and my cat Izzy attacked me. What I believe happened was that some outdoor cats were fighting below my window and it spooked my cat and then me getting up to check scared her even more and thats why she attacked. Now she is under my couch and has come out a few times and eaten and even rubbed on me and let me pet her. But the minute I go back by my bedroom, she freaks out. Thats where the attack happened, my bedroom. She has herself under the couch and like I said comes out but will go into attack mode if you start to move. I'm afraid of her now and that probably fuels her. Any ideas on how to handle this? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS.  What happened is redirected aggression. She equates you+bedroom=scary noises. Just keep reassuring her, don't try to pick her up or make her go anywhere and the fear and memory will die down fairly soon. Unless the cats choose to fight under the window again.

What was your other cat doing when Izzy attacked you? Was he/she in the room also?

Would she attack if you slept on the couch one night?  First you need to do something about the outdoor cats.  Do they belong to a neighbor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marcianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply.  My other cat Luci was under my bed when this happened.  The outside cats are the strays in the neighborhood that some one in my apartment complex feeds.  I have informed the leasing office that there are strays that my neighbor is feeding and they are looking into it. My Izzy has improved somewhat, she isnt growling or screaming at anyone today.  She even went into my bedroom.  She got a little freaked out then but not anywhere near the way she was the night before.  Thanks so much for the reply and the insight.  

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are most welcome. I thank my ladies for teaching me about cat behavior. I have lived with multiple cats for over 20 years, most of them female.