Scaly rash and hair loss on ear

Calypso522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know what causes this? One of my other cats had this happen on both ears one year. I took her to the vet but they referred me to a dermatologist and gave her amoxicillin just in case it was a bacteria. It went away with the antibiotics so I didn’t make an appointment with the derm. Now my other cat is getting it.

I attached a photo of her normal ear and affected ear. I’ll see if I can get her into the vet. This cat has stress induced urinary infection problems so if I can avoid the vet that would be best.

Attachments

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know what causes this? One of my other cats had this happen on both ears one year. I took her to the vet but they referred me to a dermatologist and gave her amoxicillin just in case it was a bacteria. It went away with the antibiotics so I didn’t make an appointment with the derm. Now my other cat is getting it.

I attached a photo of her normal ear and affected ear. I’ll see if I can get her into the vet. This cat has stress induced urinary infection problems so if I can avoid the vet that would be best.
All I can contribute right now, after reading it happened to another cat, is that it's possibly something environmental.

Have you looked into all possibilities of harmful environmental factors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Calypso522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All I can contribute right now, after reading it happened to another cat, is that it's possibly something environmental.

Have you looked into all possibilities of harmful environmental factors?
I’ve moved in with my boyfriend since then so totally different house and cleaning supplies. It could possibly be seasonal allergies. Pollen is huge right now and one cat has to take cetirizine. This cat is on prescription food and is totally inside so her exposure to things is limited.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve moved in with my boyfriend since then so totally different house and cleaning supplies. It could possibly be seasonal allergies. Pollen is huge right now and one cat has to take cetirizine. This cat is on prescription food and is totally inside so her exposure to things is limited.
Well, that tells me you are vigilant and provide good vet care.

I'd look into everything in your environment and do research on anything you aren't sure about.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What does the inside of the ear look like? There are so many possibilities, including environmental ones. No one on this site is going to be able to tell you what it is because of that. The odds are that it is itchy, and your cat is scratching at it which is what is causing the scaliness and hair loss - all of which can lead to an infection, so you have to be mindful of that.

With it only being one ear - unless it spreads elsewhere - it would seem to be something your cat's ear came into contact with, or perhaps she sits in a location where that one ear gets direct sun and the other does not?

As an interim attempt to help, try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on her ear with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for her to ingest should she do so. Probably not a cure, but if whatever happened is a onetime incident, it might be enough to get by.

Calypso522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does the inside of the ear look like? There are so many possibilities, including environmental ones. No one on this site is going to be able to tell you what it is because of that. The odds are that it is itchy, and your cat is scratching at it which is what is causing the scaliness and hair loss - all of which can lead to an infection, so you have to be mindful of that.
As I was reading this I saw her scratching inside her ear with her paw. I do have ear drops left over from when she had an ear infection like 5 months ago. I’ll use those and see if it gets better. If I call the vet Monday I couldn’t get her in until Thursday because of my work schedule.
I looked back at my photos of her and the hair has vanished in the past 7-10 days. It was really fast.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do have ear drops left over from when she had an ear infection like 5 months ago. I’ll use those and see if it gets better. If I call the vet Monday I couldn’t get her in until Thursday because of my work schedule.
Is this the same ear that was treated 5 months ago for an infection? Does it look similar to what it looked like then?

I would still make the appt, and when you call, tell them what is going on and ask if you can use those same drops until you get to the appt. If they tell you no, then ask what you CAN do in advance of the appt. You might also send pics to them to show them what it looks like. The problem with using what you have is that it may not be the right solution this time, and it could skew things so that it might make it harder for the vet to determine what is the best treatment.

Calypso522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this the same ear that was treated 5 months ago for an infection? Does it look similar to what it looked like then?

I would still make the appt, and when you call, tell them what is going on and ask if you can use those same drops until you get to the appt. If they tell you no, then ask what you CAN do in advance of the appt. You might also send pics to them to show them what it looks like. The problem with using what you have is that it may not be the right solution this time, and it could skew things so that it might make it harder for the vet to determine what is the best treatment.
I wasn’t aware she had an infection before, they had swabbed her ears to see if there was bacteria because they looked dirty when I brought her in for her yearly checkup. It was both ears then, but the problem was only internal not external. They just gave me broad spectrum antibiotic drops and ear wash. The inside of her ear looks pretty clean. Much better than before when it was infected. She’s always had those blue bumps, the vet said they are ok.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, unfortunately, the bottom line is that this issue does not appear to be the same as the last one, which would tell you the drops are not likely to resolve this new problem. Continue to look for possible causes, monitor for spread or worsening, get the vet appt. scheduled - and ask them what you can do to help between now and the appt.

It should be OK to try the chamomile tea, it might not help, but it isn't likely to make things worse. If nothing else, it should help to quell some of the itchiness.