Scabs & Sores On Footpads

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I took my one year old Loki to the vet because I had found some scabs on the footpads of his left back paw. I had noticed brown crusts on that particular paw a couple of days prior but simply assumed he had accidently walked in his poop or something and that he would clean himself eventually. A few days later it was still there so last Sunday I decided to clean it for him and removed what I could (Loki making it extremely difficult for me, lol). Fast-forward to Tuesday and the crusts are back. I manage to get a good look at it and see that it looks more like dried blood and that underneath, the footpad is really sore.

The vet couldn't exactly tell what it was, but suggested that it might be dermatitis (though that wasn't the most usual location for one, he noted) which can be caused by allergies or autoimmune diseases. He advised we start from the bottom and prescribed a cream (Theraderm) to be applied twice a day for a week and see if it gets any better.

I'm mortified right now. What could it be? Anyone here run into a similar problem with their kitty?

I'll *try* to take a picture later, if Loki allows it...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure, but there's an awful lot of that going around right now. I've posted in at least three threads about it recently. My guess is some sort of fungal infection, rather like athlete's foot, but that is just a guess.

One thing you can try, between Theraderm applications, is an application of chilled chamomile tea, swabbed on the paws. Buy commerical tea bags from the grocery store (in the coffee and tea aisle), brew a cup, chill it in the fridge and apply several times a day. Using commercial bags ensures that you are using ONLY German chamomile, NOT English (useless medicinally AND toxic to cats). Chamomile is both antibacterial and antifungal, and is wonderfully soothing, so it will ease any discomfort he may be experiencing (it's great for any kind of skin "ouchies" on man or beast).

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something is certainly irritating it. I'm still wondering about a fungus of some sort (I AM NOT A VET, THIS IS A GUESS), simply because cats do sweat through their paw pads, and moist, warm places are ideal for fungi to grow. Certainly not ringworm, but there are a lot of other fungi out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something is certainly irritating it. I'm still wondering about a fungus of some sort (I AM NOT A VET, THIS IS A GUESS), simply because cats do sweat through their paw pads, and moist, warm places are ideal for fungi to grow. Certainly not ringworm, but there are a lot of other fungi out there.
I also read about pododermatitis being a possible diagnosis.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Possible, but polodermatitis is rare, and even more rare in just one paw. So, possible, but unlikely.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve never seen actual pododermatitis but if the photos are anything to go by, it usually affects the bigger central pad rather than the four smaller digital pads, which are the ones affected here. Not to say impossible, just less likely. Good luck to Loki (love the name, can we have a photo, please).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm glad to report that, after inspecting his paw just now, the swelling of the most affected footpad seems to have reduced and most of the redness is gone and back to a normal pink except for a few spots. The brown scab on the other footpad has come off on its own and the skin that was beneath appears healed. All very reassuring things. Whatever was affecting his paw seems to be healing with the cream the vet prescribed.

(love the name, can we have a photo, please)
You sure may!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHAT a handsome boy! I'm so happy to hear that he is improving daily.